• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Southern fried please

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This was my third hunt this season. Not getting to hunt as much as in previous yrs so I will have to cherish the days I do get to go. I heard this bird at daylight this morning. He was across the creek from me an had plenty of hens to keep him busy a while so being he was the only game in town I just waited him out an called once every 30 mins or so just to let him know I was still around. About 9:30 I picked up my call an made a few yelps an he thundered off at about 75 yrds. He closed the distance in just a few seconds an I saw his lightbulb head an neck at 25 yrds an Achilles did the rest. He has a 9 an 1/2 inch beard with 1 inch spurs an was about 18 lbs though I didnt put him on scales. In all he probably gobbled around 50 to 60 times.

Absolutely great!!!! Thanks for sharing Allen.

I've only one complaint. You're not helping my "itch" one tiny bit :haha:

Congratulations and thanks for sharing, Skychief

Congratulations! Nice bird and a great photo. Love the banded horn.

I was at our lease doing a few chores Friday afternoon and the gobbling was starting. There were two big toms in the yard when I pulled in and I saw three more when I came back from checking a stand site. When I was driving home, about 2 miles from our lease, I saw a flock of over 40 birds in a cut corn field...8 where big toms, the rest hens. Apparently the turkeys wintered well here and we should have a good season. Will be primitive bow for me this year.

What does a wild bird like that cook up like ?
We had them caged & let out in the afternoons to eat under the olive trees.
The ones feasting on olives were amazing good eating.
O.

Text book approach..Bang-flop-Your living Right!
Geat Job! Beautiful bird!!!!
Thanks for the picture... :thumbsup:

What did he have in his craw?
and what's in the stuffed little bag?
Let me guess..Almond Joys? maybe Snickers? HeHe!

Wow, that's just awesome pic and story! Congrats and thanks for sharing!! Beautiful gun, bag, and horn. What can you tell me about your gun of choice there? Greg. :)

Did a little searching and come up with this must be your Joe Schell 12 gauge. Very NICE indeed! Greg. :)

Your right Greg. Joe got it back to me a couple weeks before our season started. He does really good work. This gun is very slim an light. He left me a palm swell in the forearm as asked to do an it makes me hold it the same each time I shoot it kinda like my Bruton rifle that I deer hunt with. Its jug choked an shoots a really good dense pattern with big shot that I like to use for turkeys

Great job! Once again, proof that patience is a virtue. We still have a few more weeks before season here in Ohio.
I have a Chambers .20 gauge Penn Fowler on the bench, not yet complete. So I'll have to use a more modern device again this year until I can get this flintlock completed.

Latest posts

Back