• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sow With A Patched Round Ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rifle: TC New Englander .54 Caliber
Projo: Patched Round Ball
Powder: 100 grains of Black MZ
Cap: #11 Winchester Magnum

Stalked this 275 pound sow and put a .530 round ball in her ear. Distance was 30-35 yards.

That looks like it will be some good eating. Congrats! :hatsoff:

I've many times thought about getting one of those game lifts that fit into the pickup hitch. Getting to where pulling big game into the back of the truck by myself doesn't work so well anymore!

Spike, if you get a game hoist, get a more substantial one then the $88 one Sportsman Guide sells. It is fine for Alabama deer but I doubt it would handle the big deer in your neck of the woods.

I used to strain my back every time I loaded a deer. As I got older I killed some I couldn't load (Tall F250) so I bought a hoist.

I keep it in the back of my truck all through hunting season, it is great for picking up a fresh road kill as well.

i can't begin to wrestle a decent sized deer or hog onto a pickup.

One day i rounded up some scrap, a winch, a pulley and some cable and welded up that hoist. It has handled a 500 pound elk.

I had a local welder make up a hoist for me. It rotates, locks in, and clears my tailgate. I also have a tall F-250 and am 72 and I have never regretted spending $200 for the hoist.

I killed a deer 2 weeks ago while hunting with my 9-year old granddaughter. We couldn't lift the deer into the truck. Without the hoist it would have been dragged to the nearest suitable tree .. about 1/4 mile away.

Eric Krewson said:
Spike, if you get a game hoist, get a more substantial one then the $88 one Sportsman Guide sells.

Thanks for the tip. I've looked at that one in their catalog and wondered how "substantial" it is. I'm fortunate to have a son-in-law and two brother's-in-law who are great welders...so I think I'll go the route others mentioned and have a GOOD HD one made!

What I have done to make it easier to load is to take the tailgate off...and if needed, I use it as a ramp. Though, just getting it off the truck really helps a lot in loading and is usually sufficient for me, bad back and all.

Great job on the hunt! :hatsoff: And as an aside, thank you for hiding your license plate. Can't be too careful nowadays. I wouldn't expect any trouble from any members here, but never know who else looks at this or any other forum.

Nice sow. A hoist like that would be a good thing to have around for something that heavy.

I only hunt deer and don't have a hoist but something that I use is a piece of 3/4" plywood with some holes drilled in it to strap the deer to it. I lean one edge on the tail gate then pick up the other end and slide it on in. My deer are seldom real big but the leverage helps a single person load a deer pretty easy.

Nice hunt and shot, congrats. I've been using the 3/4" plywood also as a ramp to drag the deer into the back of the pickup; usually by the time I get it to the truck I'm about done in.

will5a1:
Get yourself a good come-a-long hook it to the front of the bed and use it to drag your deer up the plywood.
A friend and I did this with two hogs that were about 225lbs.
Sure saved our backs.

Plywood ramp and lift idea is now bookmarked in my brain! I blew a disc loading a stupid 2 pt 10 years ago. Cruel injury indeed, yer backs injured but yer arse n leg on fire! Still sit in a straight backed kitchen chair at the office and super bowl 2016 was the first time I sat (indian style) on a sofa. Cant sit in a lounger etc. Us old geezers need ideas like this! TY :thumbsup:

Back