• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Speer balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryK

40 Cal.
Reaction score
The guys I hunt with have always claimed Speer balls are too hard and don’t flatten out. Hornady is preferred choice for 50 or 54.
Anyway I can only find Speer, so I would like to get 600, and just use those.
So what about the hardness factor? I’m thinking BS.

The guys I hunt with have always claimed Speer balls are too hard and don’t flatten out. Hornady is preferred choice for 50 or 54.
Anyway I can only find Speer, so I would like to get 600, and just use those.
So what about the hardness factor? I’m thinking BS.

I think you are right.

Speer Muzzleloader Round Lead Balls .440 127 gr MZRB 100/ct
Speer Muzzleloader Round Lead Balls .440" 127 gr MZRB 100/ct
Speer Muzzleloader Lead Round Balls are swaged from pure lead and have been made with a special process to ensure maximum uniformity without any voids or air pockets. Simply put, these Muzzleloader Lead Round Balls from Speer are some of the best on the market. If you are looking for a high-quality…
Related Products Le

The only round ball that I ever remember recovering from game was a Speer .490 that I shot into a whitetail six point at 8 yards (had to let him walk away a little as he passed by me at arms length). Hit him behind the shoulder, passed across the top of the heart and flattened to .82 just under the off side skin.

Went for a drive out to Grice to get 10 boxes. Zero in stock, so guess I'll have to wait if they get them in.

I have shot mule deer with my 54 GPR. and it worked great. It was a speer 230 grain ball and it broke the front shoulder bone going in and exited behind the opposite shoulder. It ran about 20 yards and fell over dead. If it shoots accurate in your rifle, I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

Back