• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Spring 2012 Tom

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim West

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, up this morning at 4:45. Got to the woods about 5:30. Set up 2 hens and a jake decoy at around 15 yds. Temp was 35 degrees with wind blowing about 15 mph and gusting to 25 mph. Made a few yelps starting around 6:10. No response. About 6:30 I heard my first faint gobble to the north. Hard to tell how far away because of our early spring the trees and bushes are leaved out much more than normal causing the sounds not to travel as far as in years past. I heard a few more gobbles to the north but nothing any closer. I told myself to just be patient. I've had tom's come in before and never make a sound. I made an occasional yelp and finally to my south I heard a gobble at 7:15. I yelped and he answered back immediately.

After a few more calls, it sounded like he was staying in the same spot. I debated whether to try and move toward him but with the wind blowing and not knowing exactly where he was, I decided to stay put. For the next 45 minutes I would yelp and he would answer, but never seem to close the distance. Finally, I got loud with my best purr, yelp and cackle I could muster up.

All was quiet for a few minutes, then suddenly he gobbled and I could tell he was close. I was afraid he was gonn sneak up behind me so I shifted my body around so I could shoot behind me. I didn't dare make a sound in fear of giving up my position. Suddenly, I heard him drumming and caught movement out of the corner of my eye. Oh no, I was now facing the wrong direction. He had slipped around me and was going straight to the jake decoy.

I slowly pulled the 35" barrel across my body and turned around to my right. It seemed like it took 5 minutes or more for me to turn back around an inch at a time. Finally, I was in position to shoot. I cocked the hammer and rested the barrel across a blow down log. I squeezed the trigger and smoke filled the air, but only for a couple of seconds due to the wind. There he layed with just a couple of wing beats.

At 15 yds, the 1 1/4 ounce of #6's had done its's job well. Not much for spurs, but he had a 10 1/4 inch beard and weighed just shy of 23 lbs. Another spring season over in a couple of hours but, leaving memories that last a lifetime.

My heart is still poundin!!! :surrender:
Great story!
Congrats :hatsoff:
Dusty :wink:

Back