• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Spring turkey

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No Deer

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Set my portable blind up Monday afternoon for Michigan's late season (May 5 thru 31). Finally went out this morning (Saturday) to sit in it. On the way out I could hear a Tom gobbling, and he was hot to trot... gobbled a couple of times per minute. I got my dekes set out and back in my blind by about 6:15 a.m.

I waited only a couple minutes to call with my wing-bone call I made from a previous kill. He was interested and he was moving closer coming down along side a pond in front of me. I was getting excited as he got a couple of hundred yards from me and closing. Suddenly on the pond behind me, some geese started making a terrible ruckus. Not sure what was going on, I couldn't see them, anyway, that Tom must have crossed paths with some real hens because all of a sudden he was headed the other way, still gobbling every few minutes.

I was disappointed to say the least, but it was still early.

About 45 minutes later I saw some movement on the opposite side of the pond from where the tom had been earlier. What I saw was the sun gleaming on a smokey gray, almost white hen. She was accompanied by another hen, and headed right for my set up. I was hoping they were bringing a tom with them. They got about 60 yards from me and I heard the Tom gobble. He was following them! The hens worked their way up into my set up and then I could see the tom. He was about 60 yards behind them and in full strut all the way.

The hens walked by my blind about 15 feet away. My dekes were spread around me about 20 yards out. The Tom decided to court one of my dekes. He started strutting back and forth and gobbled several times about 20 yards from the deke. I was afraid that with the brush etc. that this was just a bit outside my range. After showing off for the ladies for about 20 minutes, my heart beating very hard the whole time, he decided that the closest deke was not interested in him, so he headed towards the next one. He came in closer to this one and started strutting. I pulled the trigger and .....klatch.... couldn't believe it. I pulled the gun in, wiped the frizzen (guess I got some oil on it), stuck it back out the window and pulled the trigger again.

He went down. This was about 8:30 a.m. My season was over in about 2 1/2 hours.

He had a 10 inch beard, 1 inch spurs, and weighed 22 pounds. His tail feathers had really taken a beating, only got 6 good feathers from it, and his wing tips were really worn down from dragging while strutting.

Enjoyed your hunt, No Deer. Does make your heart beat, doesn't it? :grin:

Care to describe your gun and load?

Spence

My sxs flinter is a Navy Arms Pietta 12 ga. that I had converted to flint. The barrels are jugged choked, modified and improved cylinder.
Load I used was 80 gr. 3f, over powder card, lubed fiber wad, 1 1/4 oz. #5 shot and over shot card.

Not really sure what the max range would be, have not played with it enough to find that out, that is why I waited on the Tom to get closer. Have never..so far...had a problem getting turkeys in to 20 yards or so.

Spikebuck said:
What an exciting hunt! :hatsoff:

I see you have a double flinter...why not just pull the other trigger?

:doh: didn't think to just pull other trigger :haha:

No Deer said:
:doh: didn't think to just pull other trigger :haha:
If you aren't going to use that other barrel, you might want to consider sawing it down the middle and making two smoothbores, selling one of them. :haha:

Spence

swathdiver said:
What kind of locks were used and who does the work? I thought it was a Pietta, noticed the tang, which I happen to need a new one!

Any of you fellas know someone who has one available or who can make one?

I used L&R locks, 900DT and 1000DT. The guy that made the flintlock breach plugs no longer has a shop, and I don't know anyone else who does, so sorry can't help you out with that.

Latest posts

Back