• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Springfield 1795 questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all - recently acquired my first Springfield 1795 and had a couple of questions on it:

1. Did the original ramrods ever have holes drilled near the button heads? Can I assume this is a repro rod? (There’s also a mark that looks like a number on the rod - see pic.)

EDIT to add - I see a very similar stamp on the rod of my 1816-dated M1812, albeit no hole.

aJlaXCL.jpeg

2. Is it common to be unable to fix a bayonet with the rod in place? Can I assume this bayonet originally went with a gun with a bottom lug? See picture - the head of the rod blocks the bayonet from seating over the lug.

qHjarem.jpeg

RJFKQzF.jpeg

3. Finally, has anyone encountered either a “C” or a broken die in a date stamp? I have seen capital “I” in place of 1 on occasion. See the “1809” date:

OmnOKnD.jpeg

Thanks!

Last edited:
Oh yes, that totally works, no problem. The bayonet goes on and off with ease as long as the ramrod is out (and can even be fixed as long as the ramrod is withdrawn enough to allow the curve of the bayonet past the button head).

The bayonet is definitely a mismatch, its for a bottom lug barrel. The rammer is old and if fully seated is the correct length.

Yes, ramrod is fully seated and is the proper length; the only unusual thing I noticed about it is that hole drilled through it.

Any ideas what the bayonet actually matches? I’ve been trying to do some searching myself and apparently the lugs moved around a bit on the French muskets of the era - could it be a French bayonet (given the major influence of the French muskets of the period on the 1795 pattern)?

Latest posts

Back