• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

squirrel / dove hunt ! ( graphic pics )

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silent sniper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
it was 6 o clock when we left the house. my friend aaron( thomp shooter) and i were going to go find some squirrels.i was using my custom 32 flinter and aaron was using his new custom crockett flinter. he is still very new to flintlocks and hasnt had much time to get used to the new flinter . we left and drove to a 5700 acre piece of public land. we had never hunted there before and were excited to see how the squirrel hunting was there.we got there and quickly headed to the woods.the first thing we started seeing was deer ! we saw 5 on the 150 yard walk in. we sat down by a tree and had to fawns walk by. one of the fawns was only 6 yards away when it walked past !. next we started hearing the chatter of a couple red squirrels. we went after them but we werent able to locate them. so we crossed a swamp and hunted a woodlot. as soon as we got in the woods i looked up to see a fox squirrel moving through the canapy. we hurried and got under the tree it was in. the squirrel saw us and instead of running it started coming down the tree towards us. aaron and i both got ready. the squirrel was a mear 10 feet from the barrels of our guns when aaron went to shoot. but he had forgot to nap his flint and it didnt spark. i quickly took the oppertunity to pull the trigger before the squirrel bolted. the squirrel dropped almost at my feet. the only problem was sense i hurried the shot i didnt have time to aim for the head, instead shooting it straight on in the chest. luckly somehow meat damage wasnt very severe sense all the damage was in the ribs and innards. it was a nice young fox squirrel
entrence hole.
09060007561.jpg

exit on top of back.
09060007571.jpg

i gutted the squirrel and we kept walking. we had walked for an hour or so before we decided to take a break. we were standing there when aaron turned around to see a red squirrel sitting in a tree. he took the 25 yard shot but it was a close miss and the squirrel got away. we walked and walked all around.then as we were walking back through the swamp i saw a red squirrel run down a tree. we got into sneek mode and started stalking. aaron looked up to see the squirrel go up the tree and into its hole. we got into position and got ready to wait for the squirrel to come out. we sat there for 10 mins and the squirrel still hadnt come out. so i tried a little trick. i pulled a squirrel call out of my bag and started making some calls on it. almost instantly i saw the squirrels head pop out of the hole. i told aaron to wait till the squirrel was completely out of the hole before he shot. well finally the squirrel came all the way out of its hole. aaron shot and again missed by just a hair. somehow the squirrel froze there. i quickly leaned over and grabbed my gun, threw it up and shot. the squirrel dropped. it was a 17 yard shot. i walked over to find a very nice male red squirrel. the 32 ball does alot of damage even with chest shots, but it again didnt waste any meat.
entrence hole.
09060010121.jpg

exit hole
0906001012a1.jpg

we walked around for another hour and aaron and i managed to both miss a extra squirrely red squirrel and i also somehow missed a 35 yard pot shot on a red squirrel sitting on a stump. o well save them for next time. we had collected 2 nice squirrels for the frying pan.my average was 4 shots/ 2 squirrels which was an ok. i will have to work on it tho lol.
09060010181.jpg

next we went home and switched our 32 flinters out for our double barrel shotguns. aaron was going to use his original 14 guage double and i was using my nay arms What? 12 guage double. we were both using 60 grains FFF, OP wad, 80 grains shot, OS wad. this load patterns very well in both of our guns. we got loaded up and went out. the first dove flew up at 20 yards out of a corn field and aaron smashed it like a rock. but the dead dove fell in a tall soybean field and we were unable to find it. we did a stalk on another dove and jumped it at around 25 yards. i was on the side of the dove and aaron was directly behind it. when it flushed aaron and i both shot within 2 secs and both of our loads hit the 1 dove. well aaron had go to his dads house so i went home to try to find some doves. aaron's average was 2 shots 2 doves, and mine was 1 shot 1 dove at the time. when i got home i started finding doves. i would sneek into range and jump shoot them. the first one jumped up at 25 yards and i shot once and got feathers out of its backside. it landed in a tree where i walked up and jumped it and finished it with another shot.
it was a nice big dove.
09060019041.jpg

next i walked to a grassy field with lots of doves around. the first set was 5 doves that flew up at about 15 yards. i swung for one to my right and shot behind it so i turned to my left and caught one at 20 yards with the second barrel. it was very fun and it would of been awesome if i had hit the first dove also. the last dove was an especially nice shot. it was around 30-35 yards flying angling across to my right. i lead it by 3 feet and shot and what do you know that dove folded up and dropped right out of the sky. i then missed another dove with the other barrel. i collected my doves and went home to clean them. it was a very fun and successful day. here is a pic of the doves i shot at my house.
09060020051.jpg

my average was 7 shots/4 doves which wasnt to shabby in my book. i only actually missed 2 doves, the one extra shot was from shooting the one dove a second time. i was extremely picky about the shots i took on doves because i dont like missing :rotf: it was an awesome day hunting with aaron and i know we will have many more days like this to come. enjoy SS

:applause: OUTSTANDING! :applause:

Keep those stories and pics coming, they're fantastic! :grin:

:hatsoff:
Spot

Nice Hunts and stories Snip. Lots of fun to hunt and shoot. Can't beat the feeling of doing it like they did back in the day :thumbsup: PP Dilly

Looks like a great way to start the season! :hatsoff:
Congrats
Dusty :wink:

410-er said:
What size shot did you use for doves?

410-er i used #8 shot.i used to use # 6 but tried #8 and liked it better. when i use my unslit paper shotcups i use #6 shot sense i can keep the pattern much tighter then without the shotcup. i even managed to drop a flying dove at 45+ yards with a shotcup full of #6 shot and a 6 foot lead :rotf: it was and still is by best wingshot byfar.

Back