• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Squirrel hunt update

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Richards

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I wanted to share an update on my squirrel hunt that I found interesting. I took two squirrels with my new club butt fowler. The first was taken using 60 gr 3f with 2 ox-yoke felt pads (trimmed from 12 gauge), an equal volume #6 shot and covered with 2 overshot cards (also trimmed from 12 gauge). The second and larger squirrel, at a bit further distance, was taken with the same powder/shot load but I used hornet nest for wadding. I broke off and packed a

Have not tried the hornets nest in a shotgun in many years. It did not do so well in a Navy Arms 20 guage double I had years back, but nothing wanted to pattern out of that gun. My current shotgun likes the thick old style nitro cards made for reloading shotshells.

Was the felt soaked in any lube? That adds considerable weight and sometimes slows down the muzzle velocity. I noticed this and stopped "dipping" my Circle-Fly wads, now I just smear maybe 1/3 of the edge lightly with a grease lube.

I have not used a lube in my shotgun in months Stump. So far I have not had any problems loading it. Using the steel loads and the plastic cups they need, I may need to swab every ten shots of so, but not often. I think I had more problems when I was using a lubed wad than I do with none.

I just got done doing some Squirrel hunting in PA this week and I got one (my first with a flintlock) it was a young one, small. And my father got a larger one almost twice as big and older. The hide and muscle density was greatly different between the two. It may not have anything to do with your set up at all.

Back