• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

squirrel hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silent sniper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
well this weekend I took the double and my grandpa took his CVA "squirrel rifle". I shot the first squirrel of the day. it was a red squirrel that was running on a branch 20 yards away when I dusted it with the shotgun
DSCF0288.jpg

the second one was a red squirrel chewing on a nut 40 yards away. I wanted to try the shot with the rifle. i could only see the head and neck of the squirrel but i decided to try the shot anyway. I took the offhand 40 yard shot BANG the squirrel tumbled out of the tree. I walked up and I saw that I had make a perfect shot that wasted no meat.
DSCF0289.jpg

here is the entrence hole
DSCF0293.jpg

exit hole
DSCF0290.jpg

the 32 was only loaded with 20 grains of 3F and a patched 311. ball.
it was a good days hunt
DSCF0287.jpg

You did good! :hatsoff:
The best part, though, is that you got to go hunting with your Grandpa. :thumbsup:

I have a CVA in .32 and yes, that is what it does to squirrels. Now you know why you always shoot for the head. I always wince when I hear guys talk a about squirrel hunting with .54s and such. It must help to remove the head for skinning I guess!I only use 20 gr. and a .310 ball, but it does a number on reds, which are much bigger than the ones pictured. :shocked2:

Heh... I bloodied my .45 T/C Hawken on a rabbit. 10 yds with a deer load of 75 FFg behind a .440. Hit just forward of center mass... never did find the right front leg and it pretty much did all the gutting for me. That was when I learned to shoot for the head.

Good shooting :thumbsup:

Your rifle results are amazing to me. I took a Fox Squirrel last year with my .36 over 40gr of 3F at 30 yards. The shot was in to the lower back. The squirrel languished for about 2 seconds and dropped. The hole was unremarkable and the squirrel din't blow in two like I have heard they sometimes can.
That .310 ball really did it's job!

That's really good shooting Silent Sniper. We've got those little guys around here, and I can testify 100% just how tough they are to hit. Heck, I can't even see one at 40 yards when all you've got is head and neck, much less hit it!

We eat a lot of them, and in spite of the small size they're about the tastiest squirrel I've ever had---- And I like all squirrel!

But speaking of that, it takes about two squirrels to make a serving for one person. Looks like you need drag your granddad out hunting again if he wants anything to eat! :thumbsup:

:applause: Way to go sniper,

I agree with the others, that's some pretty good shooting.

Nice looking double, too.

:hatsoff:
Spot

Thanks ya I couldnt belive I hit that little bugger lol. And yes I have to agree red's are extremely tasty. But if your woods doesnt have red's then chipmunks make a good subitution. They are small hard to hit targets and they are also very very tasty lol

I remember the first squirrel I shot with the 50cal Hawken replica, that I had built, myself. I was sitting in an old tree stand, in a white oak, watching a scrape line. A fox squirrel found me, and would not remain silent. He got so brazen that he came within 10', at eye level, facing me and barking his fool head off. Frustrated, I put a ball through his mouth, (I think it came out of the tip of his tail). There was not enough left to pick up....Robin

Last edited by a moderator:
Your story reminds me of a deer hunt the fall before last...had sat an oak flat from sunup until about 11:00 with my .62cal/325grn ball...hadn't seen any deer...was getting restless, so in spite of knowing still hunting in thick stuff is a low odds game I had to do something.

After about 30 minutes of easing quietly along on damp leaves, all of a sudden a squirrel on the other side of a tree I stepped up to bolted out into the open just barking and raising the alarm all over the place.
Then the obnoxious little %$#& ran over to a log 25 feet away, hopped up and sat upright barking at me...well, they WERE in season you know...

Back in the fifties a now deceased friend and I used to hunt together in the Catskill mountains of new york. There were lots of squirrels, big greys mostly, and they would of course complain every time we stopped in their yard. It became a regular thing for a few years to go back the day after the season ended with a 22, and sit on the same log or boulder, and---bingo! I can still taste those wonderful stews in my mind after all these years. good smoke, Ron in FL

Back