• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Squirrel hunters, how do you carry the squirrels?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Egler

50 Cal.
Reaction score
The topic of mesh game bags in another thread got me wondering, those of you who hunt squirrels, how do you carry them?

I have always tied a cord around the back legs and hung them from my belt. (Of course it is easier to do this after they're dead. :haha: ) Since the daily limit is 4 that isn't a weight problem. Never used a game bag.

I should mention that I never encounter the general public or non-hunters while hunting. Actually, I've only seen 3 deer hunters, and they were together, in the last 10 years while hunting. I expect that this method would be offensive to some non-hunters.

So how do others carry them?

I used a cord too in the past. We are allowed 12 a day here and it does become a weight issue :haha:

Last few times I carried a couple zip lock baggies and just cleaned them after I shot them. Easier to deal with before they get cold. And then just put them in my game bag. :thumbsup:

same here. :thumbsup:
stinks like hell by the end of the season, which is a good reason to make or buy a new one, and support the economy!

Our daily limit is 5 and for many years just put them in the game pocket of my hunting vest and have always had good tasting squirrels. Lately, in my old age, efficiency for some odd reason has taken hold and I clean them whilst waiting for the next victim and then as said previously, put them in a plastic bag. Nice to come home and just rinse 'em off and into the freezer and then sit back and enjoy my favorite bourbon. Perhaps that's the reason for the newly found "efficiency".....Fred

Early season, when it's hot out, I clean 'em right away. Then I carry a small cooler bag full of ice and put 'em in a ziploc in there.

After the weather cools off, I hang 'em from my belt.

I don't like to carry squirrels in a vest because I've seen too many infested with tiny little ticks. Don't want to get those on me or in my house. After a couple good frosts they seem to disappear.

You might be able to see in the pic but I took a 1/2" strip of deer leather with a small 1 1/2" slit in the bottom.Loop the leather back thru it and put the squirrels leg in the loop.Weight of the squirrel keeps it tight on the ankle.Leather strap can be attached to a ring and snap then attached to belt loop.
3005671832_3cdbae9420_b.jpg

I'm just trying to get back into squirrel hunting some since my teen years back in the 60's...this time with Flintlocks...and I carried a big 2.5gal Ziploc bag in my hunting vest last Saturday.

Hunted and got a couple with a .54cal smoothie, set up the Flintlock and the two squirrels for a couple of photos right at dark...then began packing up all my gear using a head lamp for light as it had gotten dark. Got home and downloaded the pics to my PC, and when I looked at the photos I realized the squirrels were still draped over that log right where I had photographed them.

I went back there late yesterday afternoon to sit for deer and both were gone from that log, so I guess they didn't go to waste...

Roundball,think those squirrels were playing possum? :rotf:

I have one of the old laundry pins made of brass that worked ok to keep them on (pinned of course) :rotf: Lately I have been doing as stated above cleaning them as I go putting them in plastic food storage bags.

I put a strap of leather around their neck and hang them from my haversack or belt/sash, limit is 5 or 6 so the weight is not as issue. I hunt on private land so I don't offend anyone.

sqrlhunt.jpg

I'm still using a hunting vest with a game pouch in the back. I'm thinking about making a game bag out of some canvas that I have that I can put over my shoulder.

Most of the time now, I find a limb with a "V" crotch in it. Cut out crotch and whittle one half to a manageable point and diameter to easily slip between the bone and tendon of the hind leg. The other half of the "V" is left as a handhold (and longer than the "skewer" side). Squirrels stay clean and cool and aren't that much trouble to carry this way. When I sit by a tree for awhile , I just lay the squirrels beside me in the shade. I figured this to be a fairly common way of carrying squackers! Maybe not!

Sometimes I cut a small green stick some 6" long and pass it through a slit I cut in a hind leg just above the foot (my dad showed me this little trick 40+ years ago)or I use my small game carrier made by Curt Lyles to do the same. Never encountered any non-hunters where I hunt.
Tom Black
Cantucky

Skychief said:
Most of the time now, I find a limb with a "V" crotch in it. Cut out crotch and whittle one half to a manageable point and diameter to easily slip between the bone and tendon of the hind leg. The other half of the "V" is left as a handhold (and longer than the "skewer" side). Squirrels stay clean and cool and aren't that much trouble to carry this way. When I sit by a tree for awhile , I just lay the squirrels beside me in the shade. I figured this to be a fairly common way of carrying squackers! Maybe not!

:thumbsup:

I have heard this called by name but I can't remember what it is. If I have just one or two, I carry them by the tail.

I usually only shoot one or two, and I just pack them around holding them in my left hand by the tail!

I do the same thing,carrying them by the tail. Many times I just hang them in the crotch of a very small tree and pick them pack up on the way out of the woods. Then clean them when I leave the woods and only bring home the meat.

I cut a small stick from a green tree six or eight inches long and stick it through a cut made in the rear paw.You can eaisly carry five sqirriels this way, and they are eaisy to pick up from the ground after taking another shot.

Back