• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Squirrel Hunting tips

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KHickam

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey - I am gonna start squirrel hunting - trouble is where I grew up in Washington state - squirrel is not a legal game animal - I would like any and all tips regarding hunting squirrels and if any of you have experience about hunting them in Tx that would be very helpful. :thumbsup:

Find their food and you will find them.

Yep or sit in your stand deer hunting and they will find you to annoy you!! :wink:

I hunt squirrels more than anything else. There are a couple of ways, depending on weather conditions and how early you get up.

First and most importantly, before the season starts do some scouting for squirrel nests in trees and other signs of squirrel activity, and locations of lots of squirrel food.

Then pick a nest and get there 20 minutes before sunrise and sit down (as quietly as possible). Then sit still. If you have to move (like scratching your nose) do so very slowly. Most often a squirrel will been seen on the tree within a half hour of sunrise.

Doesn't work every time, but I'd say in the last season it worked 2/3 rds of the time for me.

You can also use this method near sunset when the squirrels are returning, but for some reason I have less luck at that time.

Once the sun is up I usually still hunt wherever thier food is, walking 3 or 5 steps quietly and then standing still for a bit, maybe 2 minutes, and then step again. This is less likely to work when it is really dry because the leaves make too much noise when you step on them, but it can work then also, just not as well.

Or else you can go where thier food is, make yourself non-obvious, and wait. Remembering that squirrels can see in color ("dichromatic" color vision). You don't have to wear camo, but something tan, green, brown etc so you don't stand out (except for the required orange stuff, of course.)

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Thanks all - another question - Is there anytime of the year - when you shouldn't eat squirrel? :hmm:

No. Only when the seasons are closed should you not be caught eating fresh squirrel! :rotf:

Seriously, Squirrel is good eating any time. The hides have thicker fur in the Fall and winter, and thin out some in the spring, and early summer, but most people are NOT hunting squirrels for the hides.

Just curious because - according to what I can find - squirrel hunting is legal year round in the three counties closest to me. Dog training is starting to get thin - and I figured squirrel was easier to hunt than hogs

Talk to the game department officials in your state to get their explanation for why just 3 counties have an extended squirrel season. In S. Georgia, and N. Florida, There is a substantial industry there that is involved in growing nut crops, so that squirrels have the status of a nuisance varmint in those areas. Its not uncommon for states to pass game laws that affect only specific counties, to meet a certain need for animal population control.

Here in Illinois, we used to begin the Northern Zone Squirrel Season about 30 days in advance of the Southern Zone Season. I asked why, and got " that's the way its always been", a classic bureaucratic answer. More recently, the two zones have "vanished" and squirrel season opens state wide in mid august, and goes into the new year. I recall not too long ago when squirrel season ended with the opening day of deer season, in November. The Department didn't want anyone in the woods with a rifle, or small gauge shotgun claiming to be squirrel hunting when they in fact were poaching(hunting) deer(illegally).

One year, they even imposed a closed season on Coyote during firearms deer season, and then changed the rule the next year to allow coyotes to be taken as long as you had not filled your deer tag(s), and were using the same gun allowed for taking deer.( Shotgun with slugs only, or MLer, with either PRB or conical.)

When a guy named Squirrel Tail gives you advice on squirrel huntin', pay attention. :thumbsup:

Squirrel Tail - I went out "scouting/hunting" this evening before sunset - one of my training areas has close to 50 pecan trees near the Brazos river - the bottom land is in wheat right now - I didn't see any squirrels or anything I would describe as a nest - but near the foot of nearly every tree there were lots of chewed up nuts

May try again tomorrow AM

I used to hunt some of the pecan groves near San Saba when I was at Ft. Hood many moons ago. I had some of the best hunts there I have ever had.

When the leaves are dry and crunchy you have to wait 10-15 minutes preferbably 15 between moves. Their small brains will usually forget what spooked them in in about 10 minutes. You won't cover as much ground but most of the time you'll get more squirrels.

During our early season when the weather is hot, I'll pack a small foam cooler with some reusable ice packs which I carry along in a back pack. That way the harvested squirrels can be put on ice and will keep for many hours if neccesary until they're dressed out later at home. I've found that the carcasses are also easier to skin when they're nice and cold.
Sometimes the grey squirrel will climb up into the top branches of a tree and will hunker down on the top side of a limb, virtually unseen from below. The hunter will need to circle the tree and then using some field glass, look for a wisp of its hairy tail blowing in the wind to pinpoint it. It will make like a statue staying motionless and will outlast the hunter if he can't spot it somehow. The hunter will think that it went into a tree hole but they'll just hide up there hunkering down on top of that limb. And if the hunter can't spot it, then the squirrel will win that round!
If a shot is taken close enough to it, then it'll move but then one needs to reload or to have a second gun already loaded. Another strategy is to walk away and hide behind another tree and wait until it finally moves. But it's hard to cover the backside of a tree when it tries to sneak away or to take a shot once it starts jumping from limb to limb to make a run for it! :wink:

KHickam said:
I didn't see any squirrels or anything I would describe as a nest

Their nests usually look like a wad of leaves stuck up in the top of a tree. They are different shapes and sizes. They will also make nests in a hollow hole in a tree if they can find one.
Didn't know if you know what to look for...

This time of the year you also should be looking on the ground as well as up in the trees. They should be in their rut. Those pecan trees are magnets especially if you have cuttings on the ground. Used to hunt the Lampasas river when I was at Fort Hood and there was a section that was nothing but pecans for a good 1/4 to 1/2 a mile along the river. Had plenty of great float trips on it. Good luck though and happy hunting!!! :hatsoff:

paulvallandigham said:
In S. Georgia, and N. Florida, There is a substantial industry there that is involved in growing nut crops, so that squirrels have the status of a nuisance varmint in those areas. Its not uncommon for states to pass game laws that affect only specific counties, to meet a certain need for animal population control.

Well, I don't have the Georgia regulations on Squirrels handy, but in Florida this year, the season runs until March 1st. If you have a crop depredation issue, then the property owner needs to apply for a permit. The Florida regulations addresses crop damage by deer. Here is info:
http://myfwc.com/Wildlife2060/LivingWithWildlife/wildlife_assistance.htm

For squirrels, the rules are more relaxed stating:

Florida Hunting Regulations said:
A landowner may lawfully live-trap or humanely destroy nuisance gray squirrels without a special permit or license. A permit is required to transport live-trapped wildlife and landowner permission must be obtained before captive wildlife can be released on private land. It is unlawful to release captive wildlife of any kind on public lands. Relocating wildlife is seldom biologically sound, the animal often does not survive.

for all of the details, here is the link to that information:
http://myfwc.com/critters/squirrels.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I was looking in every tree - and looking for something like a nest of leaves - I did not see any of those - there are several old live trees with holes in them as well as some snags with holes in them around - do squirrels live elsewhere and go to other trees for nuts - sorry for the stupid questions - I have seen plenty of squirrels around in my life - but I never studied them because they were not legal game in my home state of Washington.

TX as far as I can tell - has seasons and bag limits set by counties - and I was referring to the 3 counties nearest me McClennan, Bosque, and Hill county - there are seasons in 51 counties in east Texas as well as some others - however, where I live the season is year round with no bag limit.

I like hunting with a good Jack Russel. Meander along slowly,with frequent stops. Squirrels get so aggravated at that crazy little dog that they don't notice the guy with the scattergun till its too late.In the fall I love to bust up a bunch of squirrels feeding on the ground under the pecans.You never have to take your eyes off the trees if you have a good dog that will finish off squirrels and retrieve.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that a squirrel's home range can be 100 yards or more where they venture out and about. And a single squirrel can also use several different holes or nests. Sometimes their holes are located higher up in the crotch of a tree.

Most folk don't believe this, but I've got a Bichon Frise (or a "Bitchin' Freezie" as my vet calls him) that's a great squirrel dog. He'll run 'em, tree 'em, and turn 'em to my side long enough for an easy shot.

The only problem is that he then seems to think he's the one who took the limb chicken. (Maybe he's right... :hmm: ) He brings it to me - eventually - and pretty much tells me to cook it up for him.

Nice of him to include me, I suppose. :haha:

Back