• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

squirrel load for thhe new englander 50

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrevorAaron

40 Cal.
Reaction score
well my friend taylor made me try to make a squirrel load for my 50. so i used 30 grains of pyrodex and a PRB. it put 2 shots in one hole at 20-25 yards. so i took it hunting that night and i missed a gray squirrel. i wasnt sure about the load from then till tonight i got the 50 out again and i was squirrel hunting. well as i was walking along the edje of the bank there where 2 chips playing..i waited for one to stop and BOOOM all i saw was blood on the log. so then i knew my gun was on. welll i didnt see any squirrelfor an hour or 2 so i hunted another chip.. this one was about 10-15 yards off hand. got him right in his neck.....does any one else have a good squirrel load or evan use there 50 to squirrel hunt? i know i should get a 32 but mom wont let me. so i have to work with what i have..

I'm hunting snowshoe hare with my various 50's rather than squirrels, but the principles are the same. They all like 30-35 grains of Goex 3f or Pyrodex P and don't seem to know the difference between them.

I use a squirrel load of 42 gr of FFg in my .50 New Englander barrel. Happened on that amount as it is what an empty .45 Long Colt case holds. My brass measure for that also happens to look exactly like a .45 Long Colt case.

It's also 1/2 of what I use as my deer load. My rifle is sighted about 1-1/2" high at 50 yards for the deer load and the squirrel load hits point-of-aim at 25 yards.

Back