• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Squirrel Stuck in Tree

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllenHawken

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Since the beginning of squirrel hunting season this year in Virginia, 3 people have asked me if I ever got a squirrel stuck in a tree. My answer in each case was "not yet".

Well, that changed today. Was out with my Kentucky rifle a little before sunset when I heard movement, spotted the critter on a tree at eye level, took a shot and missed high on an attempted head shot. While I was reloading (50 grains FFg, .018 wonderlubed pillow ticking patch, lead round ball), kept an eye on the squirrel and saw him move up high on another tree. Waited to see if he would come down, decided he wouldn't, saw him come out on a branch, took a second shot and got him. My fifth squirrel this month.

Unfortunately, he got hung up in the branches. I walked around the tree to see if there was any way to get him down. Noticed a stout vine going up the tree and wrapped around the branches he was on. Pulled on the vine several times, and heard the tell-tale PLOP as the squirrel landed on the ground. Those of you who have shot squirrels out of trees know exactly the sound I'm talking about.

Much relieved to recover the game. Will make a nice addition to Brunswick Stew. From now on, I think I'll leave them alone if they're up in a tree and there's a likelihood they'll get stuck up there in the branches.

Never got one stuck in a tree but lost one to a turtle once. Long story short, he fell from the branch that overhung a creek in east Texas and the snapping turtle got to him before I could...and I wasn't going in to play tug-o-war!!! :shake:

I had one fall after the shot, hit a branch and somersault into the crook of the tree. I couldn't have done that again in my life.

:thumbsup: Way to stick it out and find a way!
I spent 45 minutes throwing chunks of wood to get a blue grouse that crash landed in an aspen down hill of where I shot him.

I shot a turkey with a recurve and he flew up in the tree and died. My buddy with a shotgun decided he could shoot the branches down which sounded like a better plan then staring at it but he missed and shot the turkey numerous times before it fell to the ground good thing I dont mind turkey burger.

If this was a fork in a tree, how would you get this squirrel down?

I shot one a couple years ago in the "V" crotch of a tree...he was sitting up in that classic squirrel pose...I was in the open and afraid to move closer after I spotted him so I took the shot with my .40cal Late Lancaster at what turned out to be 30yds and was tickled pink with myself when he keeled over.
Then I realized he had flopped over sideways and was laying crossways high up in that crotch, tail hanging down one side, head sticking out the other side.
Nothing goes to waste in nature so I suspect something ate well that night or the next day...

Wes/Tex said:
Never got one stuck in a tree but lost one to a turtle once. Long story short, he fell from the branch that overhung a creek in east Texas and the snapping turtle got to him before I could...and I wasn't going in to play tug-o-war!!! :shake:

So you say you're slower than a turtle? :rotf:

Sorry, could help myself.

Mooman76 said:
So you say you're slower than a turtle? :rotf:

Sorry, could help myself.

Slower than that turtle! I had a near vertical 9 foot bank to scale and he just had a big bite land in his lap!! :thumbsup: That goofy guy on TV can grab a snapping turtle any time he likes...Momma Williams didn't raise stupid kids!! :haha:

Not with my muzzleloader however I have "stuck" a few with my bow. I try to get them lined up with the trunk of the tree when using the muzzleloader so as not to launch to much lead into the great beyond, the habit sticks when I'm using the bow, but only after the 1st shot and my arrow doesn't come back.

In 1978 when I was obsessed w/ squirrel hunting w/ my first .45 cal. flintlock build, I shot a lot of squirrels....mainly grays but also a few fox squirrels near the edges of cornfields.

Head hit a fox squirrel high up in the tree tops and it fell into a crotch which only allowed a view of it's head.... shot the head again, but to no avail. While walking around the tree trying to "figure" my next move, a large hawk swooped down and "solved" my problem.

Went about my hunt and enjoyed the autumn woods {nothing like it} and fortunately head shot a few more squirrels.

Every now and then, this episode in my "hunting career" comes to mind. Hawks are for real in their pursuit of food.... having chased a few goshawks off of freshly killed ruffed grouse while hunting w/ my bird dogs.....Fred

Latest posts

Back