• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Squirrels are driving me NUTS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KHickam

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, I have been trying to learn to squirrel hunt - read a couple small articles and listened to/read threads on it.

But, here I am - getting within 40 yds of them and not getting any closer - I have taken cracks at 3 of them - but have decided that with my smoothbore 25 yds in the top range and most of the time these little rodents are nearer to 40 yds - except of course when I am walking with my horses to stake them out or going to my training fields with dogs then them little buggers - seem to think that 15 yds is fine!!!!!!!!!! :shocked2: :cursing:

Chukar and grouse hunting is much easier!!!!!!

Maybe you aught to sit quite under the shade of a tree and let them come to you. Or get a 40 yard gun . :thumbsup:
Twice.

Maybe you're moving too fast or too much.

If you're going to try and stalk 'em, try to keep a big tree in between you and the squirrel and move slowwwww.
Sitting under a nut tree is a good way to hunt 'em too. Wait until you get a shot. Shoot one but just let him lie. Wait another 10-20 minutes and shoot another. I've shot 4 out of one tree in one morning.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

That's what I have been doing, have a nice little deadfall log I sit on - any idea how tall a pecan tree with a 5 ft diameter trunk is? :thumbsup:

thats why it's called "hunting" n not killing. :blah: Enjoy whats going on around ya n pay attention which way the squirrels are going and at what time of day. They leave their nests early n head out to eat,they sleep through the heat of the day n come out again for an evening meal n drink of water if its near by. like any other hunting try n get between them n the food supply, then just sit patient n wait n wait n wait until ya get a shot ya like. While waiting, ponder life, have a conversation with the Creator n such, see whats around ya like that mouse over there moving the leaves around from underneath, n that little tweety bird building a nest in that old snag, those ants building a nest, the woods are a very busy place.Getting game while hunting is the iceing on the cake but the meat n potatos is the time n what ya learn n connect with while out in the woods. Patience my friend, it will happen when the time is right n you will enjoy it all the more because of the work ya put into it.If yer gonna sneak up on them try moving when they move n holding still when they do, like any other game movement is what gets their first n utmost attention, don't stare directly at them sort of watch them from a sideways look, seems they can feel it when ya stare right at them. If ya think yer going slow enough, slow down somemore n you will be getting close to woods walking speed, Enjoy n hope this helps some YMHS Birdman

KHickam said:
That's what I have been doing, have a nice little deadfall log I sit on - any idea how tall a pecan tree with a 5 ft diameter trunk is? :thumbsup:

Maybe that is your problem. Try sitting with your back to a tree to hide your silhouette. Them little rascals are smart. They seem to know when they are being hunted. I suspect that a hunters body language gives 'em away, so it is important to relax and just enjoy being in the woods.

They WILL see your head as it turns to scan the woods, especially if they are alert to danger, so just move your eyes.

I stalk slowly, on an angle that will bring them into shooting range, as if to pass them by, then shoot 'em before they realize I'm a threat.

What kind of foliage are you hunting in? Here in Indiana the best squirrel woods are typically areas dense with Oak. In dense woods it's easier to stalk....but it's still hard. You've got to move slow. Like one step every 5 seconds or so. Then if you spot one, you can only move in closer if they seem distracted be something else. Be patient. I've spent 30 min on one squirrel trying to close distance and get that perfect shot.

I guess I grew up in the best squirrel woods in the world because I never even had to hunt them. They came to me no matter what I was doing. A little hike through our woods would easily fill the pot with greys with no effort at all.

Good luck on your hunts.

HD

The creek bottom is a mixture of live oak, pecans, elm, and other oak trees.

General Jethro224 said:
Swampy said:
:haha: Best way I found to see squirrels (lots!) is to go deer huntin. :rotf:

Ain't that the truth. :haha:

Yeah, I have had squirrels literally running across my legs when deer hunting and turkey hunting. Like I said, those little beggars are smart. They know when they are being hunted.

I had a distant cousin that had a squirrel dog that was so squirrel crazy that he would climb trees after those squirrels. The dog, not my cousin. :grin:

I was adopted by a old yeller cat that would follow me into the woods. He would climb trees and chase squirrels around the trunk, or out of crotches in large branches so's I could shoot 'em.

That was the only cat I ever liked. He seemed to like me too, until I drove into town with him curled up in the engine compartment, of the Bronco. I miss that old yeller cat.

God bless,
J.D.

Latest posts

Back