• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Squirrels better look out...the .40cal is ready !

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Finished all the tinkering around today...will see how it shoots this coming weekend.
-----------------------------
.40cal Late Lancaster / TVM
Super premium ++ curly maple
Brass furniture
GM 38” x 13/16” barrel
Patent breech
Chambers deluxe siler
Davis double set triggers

I no longer have any T/C Hawken rifles left...the GM .40cal / TC Hawken went to a new home in Texas to help pay for this Lancaster...a retirement present to myself
:wink:

072511A1RightSideFullButtAngle.jpg

072511A2RightSideButtLock.jpg

072511A3RightSideCenterSection.jpg

072511A4RightSideFullMuzzleAngle.jpg

072511B1LeftSideFullButtAngle.jpg

072511B3LeftSideFullMuzzleAngle.jpg

You have my dream rifle. I just got started in muzzleloading with my gpr in percussion but i already want to get a lancaster in the flintlock .54. Im jealous :bow:

What a terrible loss it would be to all of us if that beautiful Burl Walnut on the right side of the butt stock were covered up with some kind of patch box! :shocked2: :nono: :shake: :barf:

Thank you for leaving that beautiful wood for all to enjoy.

I am sure it will shoot as well as you hope. Congratulations! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

Shes a looker for sure Roundball. Congrats to ya, thats some retirement gift :bow:

Very Nice Rifle. Hope it gives you many years of dependable service. I always figure if you are going to have a good rifle, you might as well have one you enjoy looking at and are proud of. Hope to see some more photo's with some game this fall.

PJC

Love that wood on that rifle. I had to go with plain on my TVM .32 so I would still hunt with it instead of just looking at and drooling all over it. Still love mine, but it's not as fancy as yours. And I'm with the other poster above as far as the patchbox goes. I know this will rub some the wrong way, but I'd rather see the wood than a metal patchbox.

Roundball,
Be sure to keep us posted on how she works on Mr Squirrel. What's ur squirrel load?

Except for a Dickert I bought used which already had a patch box, I've never included one in any of the other long guns I've recently acquired, preferring to show more wood instead.

I'm just wrapping up a 3 year retirement planning activity that's involved selling off a few decades accumulation of toys I no longer used or needed...and as a result I was able to set up a few long rifles with real pretty wood to enjoy for a few years during retirement. But remember, bottom line is pretty wood doesn't put the ball in the target...
:wink:

Outstanding, both for construction and intent as you head for retirement.

One thing I found, with more time on my hands I could do lots more hunting. But big game seasons were only so long, and you could only eat so much of it.

While I still love my big game hunts and do as much as ever, I'm truly more of a small game hunter these days if you count hours in the field. Truth be known, it might be true if you counted in pounds too.

Here's hoping the new 40 puts more hunting days in your year! As it should be. :thumbsup:

BrownBear said:
with more time on my hands I could do lots more hunting. But big game seasons were only so long, and you could only eat so much of it.

While I still love my big game hunts

Here's hoping the new 40 puts more hunting days in your year!

Agree with all the above...hopefully this little rifle will let me squirrel hunt after deer season closes...even with the leaves off the trees then, I'll have a little more reach if I can learn to do my part

BrownBear said:
Uh-oh.... Next thing you know you'll be taking an interest in cottontails, too! :grin:
Funny thing about the two little places I have to hunt...I almost never see a rabbit.

Been walking in and out of the scattered sections of woods between the fields for 18 years now and might kick out a rabbit every 2-3 years...don't know why there aren't more of them unless foxes/bobcats/coyotes are getting them.

But yes, small game in general, gives more hunting / shooting opportunities than just a few deer in the fall

Beautiful gun Rb. And as to small game hunting as opposed to big, it's just plain more fun plus no work. I'm also finding after too many years of deer as my main meat supply that I much prefer birds for the table. We don't have the big tree rats you guys have down there, sure wish we had them. We've got lots of red squirrels here but they are not hunted.

Anyhow, again, that's a fine looking rifle. :thumbsup:

Back