• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Srew in chokes ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talon

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello, I am in the process of building a double flint fowler. For versatility I though about installing screw in chokes. I have the tooling & it wouldn't be hard to do. But, the gun wouldn't be period correct. Any thoughts or opinions?

JMO, but Why? You can use barrels that are choked on one, but why use screw in chokes which will just detract from the reason for having one. And unless you plan to hunt mostly turkeys, and even then a choke isn't needed, why bother with a choke at all? With a cyl. bore you can still hunt turkeys, i have taken 7 or 8 now with both a .12 ga double and mostly a .20 ga flint fowler with cyl. bores, and still hunt other game and shoot rd balls with it. More versatility.

I’ve got a double 10 gauge from Cabela’s with screw in chokes. I think it’s a pretty shotgun until I look at the business end. You’ll regret it if you install screw-in chokes, especially on a flintlock.

IMO, standard constriction type chokes make a ML shotgun 'un-fun' to load. I guess you could solve that by keeping a cylinder choke in it most of the time. Check the threads on jug choking, which would be a better solution for a ML shotgun.

Back