• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

stain test

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackNet

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,

I tried the chemical stain today, used ferric chloride and nitrate and cut some curly maple blocks I have, this is the results.

stain1.JPG

On this one I saturated the wood with the mix then let dry for a few mins then used the heatgun untill it turned a dark chocolate brown. then ran it thru a water bath and did a very wet sanded/steel wood with tung oil. Problem is the red is there but not even like I was hoping.

stain2.JPG

on this one I did the same as above but I scorched it real good with the heat gun untill it was a charcoal black. seemed to take less time cleaning all the manure off but this one looks much better.

So any suggestion, feedback, etc?

Ed

Sanding and wiskering should be done before staining so the grain won't raise when the stain is applied.

i did alot of sanding before the stain. it took alot of work to get the stuff off. I mostly used steel wool afterwards but to start I used a very very old piece of sandpaper that was clogged up.

Ed

I just did my gun with ferric nitrate and it turned out great. After I applied i let dry and used the heat gun. It still had a slight green tint at spots. Then I nutralized it with baking soda in water and it made it turn more red.

i used both chloride and nirate. I have been preoccupied with my desktop and changing out some stuff lately so Ive not had time to do much with the stain, going to try a weaker solution next time.

Ed

nothing like that....just 8 coats of stain and wiskered it at each coat till it didn't wisker anymore and then 8 coats of boiled linseed oil....thats what i got out of it..........bob

Back