• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stalking

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dianoga

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm brand new to the muzzleloading scene and am looking forward to my first ever deer hunting coming up this fall. I will be hunting from the ground and was wondering what people wore to minimize the amount of sound they made as they walked. I was looking for something that I could hunt in 40 degree weather and keep my feet dry. I will be hunting in the hills on 600 acres of private land.

Hard to beat wool at those temps.

For footwear, I want flexible soles so my feet can "feel" twigs and branches hidden under leaves and such, giving me a chance to pick another spot for my foot BEFORE I put my weight on it and snap the noisy little thing.

Perhaps the hardest thing to learn about stalking is pace. We inevitably make some noises while moving, and we move and sound just like humans trying to be sneaky. If you can learn to pace yourself like an animal, moving slowly with frequent long pauses, you'll sound more like an animal and cause lots less alarm.

Yea I was thinking about footwear and any thoughts on what type to look for/stay away from. Thanks!

I have a pair of mukluks from Steger in Ely MN. They have a very thin rubberized sole with moose hide uppers. I use their water"proofing" spray ( I wouldn't wade a stream with them) which does bead-up water from wet snow, etc. They come with full felt liners for really cold weather, and a felt insole for just warmer weather. I can feel a lot of "stuff" under my feet and find them much more quiet than any hard-soled footwear. Because of the rubberized sole, which has some texture to it, they work even in the very steep hill country of SE Minnesota.

There are a number of styles. I have the Quetico Tall in Maple.
http://shop.mukluks.com/Mukluks/products/10/

I have used these in below zero weather with the full wool inserts along with thick wool socks (I like merino wool wader socks to the knees in cold weather) and have not had cold feet yet.

122814 Squirrel Hunt 5 Second Squirrel by Tall Spike by fillmorelease

Last edited by a moderator:
I use LaCrosse 16" rubber boots. They come with or without insulation. Not the quietest but with polypro and wool socks they are completely waterproof and the wool will soak up any perspiration so your feet stay dry.

They allow me to move quietly in shallow water if I go slow.

I wear Kenetrek boots. A bit pricey but they are comfortable in Montana no matter how cold. As for clothing, it has been my experience that different folks get cold at different rates. I always dress much lighter than my fellow hunters. I have a tendancy to get over warm when hiking, so dress light. Find what is comfortable for you and wear that. If I keep moving, I keep warm. When I am sitting waiting for something to come by is when I get cold. Good luck.

Well you need to read The Still Hunter by Theodore S. Van Dyke. He was Teddy Roosevelt's guide. He wrote probably the best book on still hunting. Stalking is when you've seen the deer and you're trying to get closer - prior to that you "still hunt" moving through the woods until you see movement. (at least that was how I was taught)

His information on movement has allowed me to get within 25 yards of hiding deer, and not spook them. Wind direction and learning how to know from a very very slight breeze which way it's blowing will do more for you above quiet movement...and knowing when to stand still too... :wink:

You should also consider hunting from a "ground blind"...let the deer come to you.

LD

PaulN/KS said:
The LL Bean hunting boots are well thought of by bow hunters that I know.

I'll second the motion. Have used them for many years.

They once made a version with Vibram soles that I really miss.

Put in some dirt time walking the woods and practice your stalking. Sneak up on mothers with fawns this spring. A great show to see the young ones frolicking about when you can almost touch them, then Mom will get upset when she smells you.

Learn how to track, does not have to be deer. While in the woods look for last years rub lines.

I wish you had my Uncle to teach you like I did. He grew up in a family of 11 in the depression on a farm. All the boys were hunters/trappers. He taught me well enough to sneak up on a turkey in dry leaves.

I agree. See how close you can get. Learn to freeze when you see an animal, rather than hide. I enjoy getting as close as possible and the real challenge is to get away without the animal seeing you.

Dear sir
Flexible, thin,and smooth rubber sole footwear and cotton or wool, environment matching dress will help I think. Some dress materials makes strange Unnatural sounds while you walk.Standing your back against trees, bushes when watching around and keeping movements little and slow helps.freezing when a animal looking at your direction is the main key.while walking the woods don't put your whole feet on dry leaves or twigs at once.start from toe or heel and gradually apply your weight on your whole feet.
Thank you sir

Wool pants are about as quiet as any. Seeing you'll be walking very slowly, the soles aren't that important as far as griping, but should be flexible. I prefer leather boots w/ good arch support that have been waterproofed.

Seeing you'll be hunting on private land, there shouldn't be any interference from other hunters, I stopped still hunting because of hunter density... all I did was push deer to other hunters.

Move slowly into the wind, preferably w/ the sun at your back. The natural tendency is to move too fast....so keep slowing down.

Years ago before the advent of too many hunters our party of 4 would do what we called, "stop and go". The spacing between hunters was 250 yds, we moved into the wind using a compass to stay in line and sat for 10 mins and walked very slowly for 2 mins....all this was done by the watch.

Inevitably, the hunters "times" weren't exact even when timed, so some were moving when others were sitting. The deer that were pushed ahead would circle back and seeing the time was mainly sitting, would walk into one of the hunters. Even when the hunter was moving very slowly, he normally would see the deer first.

When a deer was shot, it was gutted and retrieved after the hunt.

Shot many deer using this method...but too many hunters caused it to be discontinued.

Moving very slowly into the wind, not making any sudden moves and continually looking all around, will bring success.....Good luck.....Fred

For a non-traditional boot in 40 degree weather, I wear hiking boots with gore-tex lining. The advantage of a hiking boot is they are lighter and designed to walk with your weight on your toes and ball of your foot. When you climb uphill or in rocky terrain, it is easier to remain quiet when you're up on your toes. If you notice, on most hiking boots, they are laced out closer to the toe, and that's what makes them better to walk uphill or in rocks. I hunted for more than 30 years, from the ground, and learned that a quality hiking boot makes you more stealthy, by giving you a feeling of the foot and boot becoming as one. To and from a tree stand, anything works, but trekking is a different story. Maybe someday, I'll get into traditional clothing and footwear, it would help with the flintlock experience, I'm sure.

Thank you guys so much for all the great information. I am getting so excited about getting out there this fall that I can hardly sit still!

Are there any items that you would deem 100% necessary to take with me when hunting that aren't typically though of?

Take a pocket full of practice with you.

Get out there now and work on it. Hunting season is too late to learn what you need to know.

Yeah, in addition to working on your technique, you will get to know the areas where you're going to hunt, and the habits of the deer in those areas. (Hint, try to walk in the summer on the same land you will hunt in the fall).

LD

Take up squirrel hunting before the deer season begins. You will be stalking the squirrels and looking for tell tale movement just like you were deer hunting. And take my word for it, squirrels are pretty sharp and will truly challenge your ability to get close. I hunt squirrels with a small caliber BP rifle so I can practice my field loading and shooting techniques. Also, squirrels make a great stew.

Dianoga said:
Hey everyone!

I'm brand new to the muzzleloading scene and am looking forward to my first ever deer hunting coming up this fall. I will be hunting from the ground and was wondering what people wore to minimize the amount of sound they made as they walked. I was looking for something that I could hunt in 40 degree weather and keep my feet dry. I will be hunting in the hills on 600 acres of private land.

Stalking is a strange hunting method.

In West Texas stalking might work, the deer are a bit dumber.

In East Texas, the deer are hunted year round and realize when someone is in the woods, that does not belong there. Stalking in the fall will leave a person without meat in East Texas.

Sitting beats stalking any day.

You have never hunted in East Texas and I have never hunted your tame rabbits either.

Back