• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Starter Kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally cant see buying someones elses 'kit'.

I look for bargins across the net and at rondies, and buy or make each piece to support the rifle.

I recommend against an "everything you need.. and a lot you don't".. kit. Just get what you feel like you need for what you want to do right now. One thing at a time. Your thoughts and choices will soon change if you hang out here much, and nothing compares to things you make yourself that fit your needs. "Track of the Wolf" is a popular site for stuff and ships quickly and so is the site you listed.(Rest of huge post deleted to save you the effort of wading through it..)

Check out your local Wal-Mart or sporting goods store that has BP stuff. And check out Track of the Wolf online. It will give you a reasonable idea of what things go for.

1.IMHO, another "must have" is a C02 ball discharger.

2. Windex/409 works fine for general patch lube. Spit also works. You don't need the fancy stuff.

3. Water with a bit of windex or 409 works fine for cleaning.

4. You can also make your own patches from 100% cotton pillow ticking you get at Wal-mart. You can use other tight weave thin material as long as its all cotton... synthetics will melt. And make your own cleaning patches... It is scandalous what they charge for patches.

5. An extra cleaning jag isn't a bad idea. One should have come with your rifle, so pick an extra up at your leisure.

By all accounts square cut patches work as well as round ones and are a lot easier to cut if you prefer pre-cut rather than cutting your patches at the muzzle. Wal Mart ticking comes plain/blue stripes/red stripes (they mic the same). I'm trying to save up for the CO2 ball discharger. I've heard the Cabelas version is better/more reliable than the others and that the required special fitting for each type of rifle(perc/flint/etc.) is..Extra.. but probably worth it the first time you load without the required black type propellent stuff in there behind the projectile ball thingy.

I will go with the others and say get what you need as you go. Try Stumpys "moose Snot" or "moose juice" for patch lube, and get a good book on muzzleloading. Then get what you feel you need. It is fun to make a lot of the things yourself.

It is best to just get what you need bag, balls, patching,lube, cleaning jags/patching,scrapers nipple wrench of turnscrew for a flinter caps or flints, maybe a couple of other small items, it is a very simple sport, and if I hear a Co2 gizmo one more time as a must have I think I will scream...let yourself focus on the traditional aspect of the sport and detach yourself from the "gotta have dodads" mind set, the experience will be quite rewarding if you let it flow naturaly, and put yourself in "their" place and search for that conection with the past.You can put together yopur own kit for a whole lot less than the cost of the one you are looking at.

No substitute for experience! Trust these guys! You will find that only a handful of things get used, and the rest add weight.
And please don't upset TG! :rotf: A puller works, weighs less, takes up less space, costs less, and doesn't run out of poop exactly when it's needed! Learning how to use it comes with experience. You will certainly get experience!
Woodbutcher

A puller works, weighs less, takes up less space, costs less, and doesn't run out of poop exactly when it's needed

if I hear a Co2 gizmo one more time as a must have I think I will scream

True enough, but I carry both a C02 discharger and a puller. I shoot mostly trailwalks, and the discharger is a quick, safe way to get me (or someone else) back to shooting. I can't think of a shoot I've been at that I haven't had to pull it out for someone to use.

Pullers aren't 100% effective either if the ball gets boogered up as noted in a recent post.

And safety is another issue -- True story -- At my very first rondy I saw some guys trying to pull a stuck ball using a puller. One guy held the rifle while the other guy was yanking on the rod with one foot pushed against the rifle holder's mid section for leverage. The rod/muzzle was pointed at the yanker's chest. After a great deal of grunting, cursing, etc., the ball came loose and the yanker fell on his keester. These guys were experienced shooters, so I guess they knew what they were doing.

Needless to say, I went out and bought my C02 discharger the next day. I have used my puller a time or two, but I'm not experienced enough yet to use the two-man technique discussed above. I always try the discharger first.

So scream away.

There are times when a puller just won't work. I had the ramrod tip pull off on my wooden ramrod. Yes, it should have been pinned but I had never noticed that particular fact. The puller had nothing to grab and the CO2 pushed the tip and I was able to recover the tip. Now it will be pinned to the rod.

I believe the dischargers may be PC, only in the past they used a copper tube and ran one end up the backend of a goat and blew out the ball with methane..

I believe the dischargers may be PC, only in the past they used a copper tube and ran one end up the backend of a goat and blew out the ball with methane..

Thanks for that mental picture TG!!!
I just blew coffee out my nose and all over the keyboard, monitor, and the dog while reading yer response. At least you don't need goat feed, if you carry a ball puller, and you'll still be pc, and not need a source of gaseous propellant. It's sometimes tough to get a tight seal at both ends of the tubeing.

Bill

I love being married, it's so nice to have that someone special to annoy the rest of your life!!

Back