• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Starting load for a 50 cal. Johnathan Browning mountain rifle, shooting .490 patches balls.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keeffer

32 Cal
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations, for a staring load of Pyrodex, in a 50 cal J.B. Mountain rifle, with patched balls.

All of my .50 caliber rifles shoot accurately out to 25 yards with 50 grains of 2f or 3f, but of course most rifles will. I get my best accuracy at 50 yards with 60 grains or better depending on the rifle.

All of my .50 caliber rifles shoot accurately out to 25 yards with 50 grains of 2f or 3f, but of course most rifles will. I get my best accuracy at 50 yards with 60 grains or better depending on the rifle.
I’m shooting 100 yds. I’m just making sure of my loads. Thank you.

Any chance you could post it for those of us that don't have it? Would be hugely appreciated.
I will scan the manual tomorrow, make a PDF and post it here. Technically, it is a copyright violation, but I seriously doubt Browning will worry about someone freely distributing one of their manuals they no longer publish on a gun they no longer make... especially when it involves safety issues on a product they made and are still liable for.

Do any of you know a great way to clean the recess in the breach? I just guessing it is somewhat rounded. My cleaning rod had what looks to be a heavy flat screwdriver attachment and i was thinking of rounding the corners a bit do it wound scrape dome of the crud out.
I had the feeling my patching may be a bit thin since i could find no remains. I will go to wallMart and measure some cotton fabrics. I started to get flyers when i went to the 80/85 grain loads. The 75s are a pleasure to shoot with an easy recoil. And are perhaps just fine for deer, with no need to go further up the ladder. I will also try a .490 ball on for size with the same loading.

Do any of you know a great way to clean the recess in the breach? I just guessing it is somewhat rounded. My cleaning rod had what looks to be a heavy flat screwdriver attachment and i was thinking of rounding the corners a bit do it wound scrape dome of the crud out.
I had the feeling my patching may be a bit thin since i could find no remains. I will go to wallMart and measure some cotton fabrics. I started to get flyers when i went to the 80/85 grain loads. The 75s are a pleasure to shoot with an easy recoil. And are perhaps just fine for deer, with no need to go further up the ladder. I will also try a .490 ball on for size with the same loading.
Get a brass or copper cleaning brush with the thread on your range rod, the same or smaller caliber of the gun you’re cleaning. Wrap a cleaning patch to it and moisten with your cleaning solution. Once at the breech, turn it with decent pressure and the brush will conform to the breech. The screwdriver thing you mentioned is the breech scraper. If you have a patent breech, it only scapes the front of it and will not clean the recess. I use a 22 or 30 caliber brush on my barrels to assure the patent breech is clean.

Get a brass or copper cleaning brush with the thread on your range rod, the same or smaller caliber of the gun you’re cleaning. Wrap a cleaning patch to it and moisten with your cleaning solution. Once at the breech, turn it with decent pressure and the brush will conform to the breech. The screwdriver thing you mentioned is the breech scraper. If you have a patent breech, it only scapes the front of it and will not clean the recess. I use a 22 or 30 caliber brush on my barrels to assure the patent breech is clean.
Agree. Here is a picture of the Browning Mountain Rifle breech area.
20230120083103.jpg

Back