• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Steel for shotgun barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dobson

36 Cal.
Reaction score
For my next project i was thinking i would like to make a double barrel shot pistol. Would mild steel be ok for the barrels? or what else? and what diameter is a 20bore am i right in thinking .610 inch.
Whadayathink
Regards
Dobson

Take a look over at Early Rustic Arms ,he uses a DOM alloy tubing for his smoothbores , I think it was 1026 alloy.Montana Rifle Barrels was 12L14 alloy.Cylinder bore would be .625 depending on manufacture.

Many gunsmiths have parts that they will sell.
My local smith sells old barrels that are damaged but still good for that purpose for $20
At that price I would not even try to make a set of barrels.
Best Regards

Old Ford

Pressures in a smoothbore pistol like that would be low, but mild steel can have a lot of flaws in it. Like they said, better off using DOM tubing for that. It should do the job and is available. Do a search here in the archives for DOM tubing. There's been a bunch of posts on it. I seem to remember a particularly good one from Zonie.

Sean

The essence of my posts about DOM tubing boils down to this.

It comes in many different materials, and without a specification sheet it is difficult to know what it is made out of.
In my opinion, the low carbon steels are not the proper material for a barrel made out of tubing. Even the chrome/molybdenum (chromolly) steel is relatively weak unless it is properly heat treated.

DOM tubing is Welded tubing. It is not seamless tubing although it looks like it is.

DOM means "Drawn Over Mandrel" which is a process of smoothing out the weld bead and sizing it so it will work with the pressure fittings commonly used with tubing.
It is not as strong as seamless tubing, and I wouldn't trust it for a gun barrel even though some others do use it for that purpose.
The only thing I can say about their use of it is they undoubtedly know exactly what alloy their using and have the "Cert Sheet" to prove it.
They must also have had a extensive stress analysis done to prove it was safe to use in their guns.

zonie :)

If you get a chance to see Brockways book on building muzzeloading shotguns, you will see how he uses old damascus cartridge barrels for this purpose. I suppose if you could find an old 20 guage barrel you might be able to cut it back far enough to make a usable pistol. It would be somewhat wide, but still might work pretty good.

Latest posts

Back