• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Still getting lucky

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had a nice group of deer come visit my tree this morning. I took the biggest doe at about 5 yds from my tree. A carefully placed .562 between the shoulder blades from the 58 flinter dropped her in her tracks. Quick and clean. The cool thing is she had two other young does with her, an 8 point missing half his rack and a smaller 4 pt. I think there was also a button buck follwing the group. I had to cut some trees before daylight this morning so I could see and shoot better. One of them had some honey suckle that had been out of the deers reach. The tree was lying right next to the trail. I was afraid they would smell where I had been when I cut the tree. But to my surprise, the young does feed on the honey suckle while I made my mind up on which was the best target. I didn't get a pic but she was my 6th deer this year with my 58 flintlock. I only got two last year and lost a small buck. I feel really lucky to have been so blessed this season. I know we are going to eat well and their might be a few bucks running around next year as we only have a couple of weeks left to hunt.

You are having a great season. Isn't it funny sometimes what scent deer will make a big deal of, and other times they will disregard it?

I have gone in to a new stand and done brushing out thinking the stand would be ruined for that sit only to have deer coming in before my hinder hit the tree-seat. It always amazes me to see how sometimes we can blunder about and get away with it and other times think we sneaked in like a field mouse and have the wind right only to be busted. :idunno:

Congrats on another deer. You've shot more deer this year than it's legal for me to take in three. :wink:

I am as careful as I can be with my scent. Sometimes you cant be careful enough. I watch where I walk and I always break a pine or cedar branch and break the needles by twisting them and rub it all over my body and boots as I am entering the woods. I might even do it more than once if I am going to have to cross trails. I felt especially fortunate today. The old doe leading the herd was all business, as they usually are especially when their family is following them. The bucks knew they were safe by watching her. One whiff of hunter and it would have been over for sure. Their was zero wind this morning, I know that always helps.

Congratulations on a good shot / good hunt / good season !
:thumbsup:

( Love a .58cal...has "Whompability" !! )

Congrats T.O. on another great hunt. :thumbsup: :hatsoff: Our time is running short for the deer but then there's always squirrels. :v :grin:

Gotta love it when a plan comes together!
Did you get a Pass through from the top down.?
They all taste sweeter with bp!
Congratulations.Outstanding year.

On timber leases the best place to sit in the evening is where the loggers have been working that day. As soon as the deer hear the saws and machinery quit, they start heading to that area to eat the tender tree tops laying around.

You have done super good. Congratulations. I've got only a week left to salvage what's left of my reputation. My street creds are in shambles. :surrender:

From the title of this thread, I thought the subject would be about some old timer getting some sex! So right away I was looking for pictures, you guys sure do disapoint me!

I did get a complete pass thru. That has not been an issue with the 58. The balls would have to be dug out of the ground to recover them.

I titled this post still getting lucky and meant seeing and taking deer. I forgot to add this piece of luck. When I got home and went to fire my gun to clean it. The flint was barely hanging in the cock. I tried to tighten it and I had neglected to take it out and oil it the last 5-6 cleanings and I couldnt tighten it. Wow. Thats the best way I know not to get good sparks and get a misfire. I always take the lock out when I am shooting at the range, but I overlooked that during hunting season when it could have mattered the most. Live and learn and stay lucky.

Back