• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Still Squirrel'n Around

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
With Minnesota small game season ending Feb 28, I figured I'd better get out again today...especially since tomorrow's supposed to be rain, freezing rain, and snow!

At my house it was a balmy 28 degrees and no wind, but when I pulled into "The Land" 40 miles to the SW the wind was very strong and raw. I was wishing I had put on a heavy coat instead of just my fall cotton bibs and jacket with light cotton gloves. Oh well!!!!

I figured the day would be a bust with the high winds but after driving that far wasn't going to give up. I quickly headed off the top of the hill into the valley, but unfortunately the wind was cutting right up the valley as well. Three hours and no squirrels. Did see some deer and with 6 inches of soft, quiet snow, I was able to sneak well within primitive rifle range of several.

Passed the "Shaggy Rub" again. Didn't take a picture today, but this is from a few week's ago. I've seen all kinds of rubs, but nothing quite like this one.

TheShaggyRub_zpsf66c9f28.jpg

Headed up a narrow ravine on a logging trail moving slowly back up the hill. It was protected from the wind so maybe...just maybe. Suddenly, there was a nice fox squirrel about 40 yards up the hill digging in the snow for nuts. Every time she would put her head down into the snow, I'd creep a few yards up the hill. Finally I was within 20 yards and the Virginia Smooth Rifle did it's work with 50 gr of 2F Goex and 1 1/4 oz of #6's.

Squirrel1020913_zpsb61a3834.jpg

I had just finished cleaning the squirrel and reloading when I heard a few barks from up the trail another 100 yards or so. I scanned the area with my 10X Leupolds, but couldn't see anything.

I slowly kept working up the trail and sure enough, right where the barking had come from, there was another big fox squirrel searching for nuts under the snow. This one, however, decided to go up a tree and eat a nut while sitting on a branch. She was looking right my way, so I just casually angled that way until I had a big tree between us and closed the distance. Peeking out from behind the tree, she was still there, chewing away at 20 yards. Again, the Virginia Smoothie did the job. Another tree rat for the pot!

Squirrel3020913_zpsc4ffd760.jpg

Once on top of the hill I was back in the wind and no more squirrels were seen, but considering conditions, I was thrilled with the results of the day and thanked God for the opportunity to be out in His creation.

These were both really large Fox Squirrels and will make a great meal.

020913ReadyforthePot_zps90508674.jpg

And Kaiah (the Golden) got the heart, lungs, and livers! One happy pooch!

Spike.... Good timing between fronts!...
Would love to see the buck that rubbed that tree.
Thanks for taking us along....Nice honey hole there! :thumbsup:

This is excellent, braving the weather and triumphing :hatsoff:

Dont look like you have much shot in them too :thumbsup:

My dog gets the offal too, first class begger when game is in the house!

God sure made a fantastic provision for us :hatsoff:

Brits.

Looks like a good day. Is that a rub or possibly a scratching post for a bobcat, I see cedars like that every so often here is Ks and have always found claw marks after close inspection.

Thats a great story with a good outcome Fox squirres are nice. It looks like ya have a good meal with maybe some leftovers. Yum, Yum.

From what I can tell it is a big rub. There are tine tick marks up higher yet. In all my time in the woods around here I've never seen or heard a Bobcat. Never found a track. We have cameras all over on this property and no Bobcat pictures. Not that there couldn't be one around, but SE MN is not at all Bobcat country. Would be uncommon.

From Wikipedia: "Range maps typically show a pocket of territory in the US Midwest and parts of the Northeast, where it is no longer thought to exist, including southern Minnesota, eastern South Dakota and much of Missouri, mostly due to habitat changes from modern agricultural practices."

When I lived in Georgia I saw quite a few while in the deer woods. I even killed two of them with my muzzleloader and prbs.

Back