• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

stock blanks question......

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaintuck

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Please tell me if I need to 'seal the ends' on my 7 blanks. paint with a enamel just on both ends to 'seal' the pores???
I noticed small fissure cracks on the butts.
futurestocks1.jpg

Probably wouldn't hurt. Didi you buy these blanks or cut them from a tree you cut up? For stock blanks I've bought, if I know I'm gonna use them within 6 months to a year, I don't bother, but if they are gonna be around much longer then that, I seal them. If you cut out the blanks from recent tree, I would have waited before cutting the shape with painting or waxing the ends. Let the planks dry before cutting the shape, internal stresses will just twist the blanks as it drys.

I do a fair amount of woodworking and get wood from various sources all the time. I am a believe in sealing the ends. It doesn't always stop all the checking but it helps and does slow the drying process, better for the wood. I use a product called Anchorseal. It is sold under various labels also. Latex paint is OK but not as good. I definitely reccomend sealing the ends. As soon as cut is best but never too late.

RR...i did cut these, and have dreams of useing them many years from now as the 'economy slows'!
I will seal them up today~ :thumbsup:

I have used latex and enamel paint slathered on real thick. I have even used paraffin. You need to do this as soon as the wood is cut.

I guarantee the will crack & check if you don't seal them & the are fresh cut. Either Paint, varnish, old Tru-Oil, wax, Log Seal, anything helps. And put it on sloppy thick & come back in a week & do it again. And seal All knots & burls & strong grain run-out on sides & edges. These places are subject to drying out first & thus will crack & check as they do.

I had some cherry planks I dried for 5 years... somehow I missed the ends of 2 of the planks & both had numerous cracks 8" into the planks.

Keith Lisle

Next time you get a chance to store some up, leave them as planks, waxing or painting the ends. Cut them when you are ready to use. I've seen guys do it like you did, even without checking, by cutting them into rough shape they twisted at the forend from internal stress's. Hope you can salvage them, looks like you could have some nice stocks there.

hello kaintuck just a quick question what do you use to rough in the shape after cutting out the blank ?? draw knives or just chisel and mallet im considering trying to make a chery stock for my traditions 50 halfstock id like to go with a full stock ive got years of wood working experience building cabinets and have acess to just about any tool you can think of but a gun stock is more carving than fitting square pieces together the final objective is a flowing design not what im accustom to building just some basic info on how you start working down from your blanks

Back