• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stock Workers?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend any stock workers I can contact?

I’ve got a Pedersoli that has a length of pull at 14 1/2” but for me (I’m small) I greatly prefer 13” or so.

This makes shooting the gun uncomfortable and awkward, as if I don’t have enough of that in my life already!

Thanks gang,

Smokey

You could do it if you go really slow, butt plate inletting is a challenge but if you watch enough gun building videos on you tube you can figure it out.

This is a TC with a really poorly fitting buttplate, a little candle soot and an 1/8" chisel and I got it fitting perfectly.

buttplate chisel.JPG

Jerrow's Inletting black , wooden maul hammer , safe rasp for under the butt tang , Die grinder w/ oval rasp bit , and dremel type tool w/drum cutter to clean up. One hour or less. Forgot the band saw. Sounds dangerous , but why waste time if you can get the same perfection w/ power tools. Extra labor time runs the cost up.

Moving a butt plate forward an inch or more means the same butt plate will be considerably long. How that extra metal is dealt with and look right would be challenging.

OP, I would recommend sending it back to Pedersoli, but it might get lost in the mail!
Sorry, I too couldn't resist. Just kidding.:cool:

A skilled shotgun smith should be able to do it. If you don’t have a muzzleloading smith close by, check with a trap range for someone who does that kind of work or a gun shop that caters to trap/skeet.

Can anyone recommend any stock workers I can contact?

I’ve got a Pedersoli that has a length of pull at 14 1/2” but for me (I’m small) I greatly prefer 13” or so.

This makes shooting the gun uncomfortable and awkward, as if I don’t have enough of that in my life already!

Thanks gang,

Smokey
Phil has a valid point you need to consider before moving forward. Visulize (and measure) how much hangover the buttplate will have. A smaller buttplate may be needed, but then again do you care what it looks like? Anyone can whack it off, but to end up with what you want and have it look dececnt will be a challenge.
Larry

Pedersoli has a variety of shotgun butt plates. Most are blued steel, which will need to be reblued after the butt is shaped. I can do that too but it gets into time and money very quickly, particularly if there is any metal checkering on the plate.

That being the case, I recommend you find a local gunsmith you can see in person

Also, being a shotgun, and this not being an inexpensive job to do correctly, you really ought to have it fitted by a pro so the exact vertical angle can be achieved to fit you, as well as LOP which may or may not be quite what you came up with.

Latest posts

Back