• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stove in Pyramid Tent??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowbender68

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi All,
I am planning to order a new 12x12 pyramid Hunters tent from Panther sometime in the next month or 2, and have been thinking about having a stove hole put in when I order it. I have 2 questions, first is 12x12 too small for a stove? I don't want to get cooked out everytime I use it, but also still want to have room for 2 people and gear. Also, I am concerned that the heat from the stove being too close to the canvas. With the sloped walls, it seems that unless the stove is in the middle of the tent, it will be relatively close to the canvas. Any thought or comments are appreciated. Thanks!

I had a small stove in my 12x12. I set it close to the center and used a longer pipe to exit the jack.Best bet would be to use the two pole exterior pole setup so you don't have your center pole right next to it.I thought about wrapping the center pole with some fiberglass mat to insulate it from heat but never did. Just used the 2 pole outside setup and worked great.

This isn't going to be much help, but I at least do know a guy that uses a small stove in his tent with pretty good results i.e. nice and toasty at winter doins. I'll try to get ahold of his buddy that he rondy's with and see if I can get more info, stove / tent size and such.

I lived very comfortably for a couple of winters in a pyramid with a wood stove off center in one front corner. However, mine was a 15 foot. It was just myself and three dogs but lots of guns and gear. :grin:

Got ahold of my friend, he has a 12x12 with a stove he got both from Don Strintz. He says it's really toasty, plan on restoking once during the night, he has his just to the right of the door sort of in the corner, his buddy who camps with him says there's plenty of room and you could probably get a 3rd guy in there too.

BowBender,

I just went thru the same delima's a year ago. First let me say, I ordered Panthers 12x12 with a tipi door and it's a great product. Don Strinz makes a good product too.

I couldn't decide on where to put my stove, so I decided to order it without a stove hole until I used it and could figure out where I wanted it. Panther said they'd be happy to add the hole after I figured out where I wanted the stove to be. I would pay for it of course but the quote they gave me was more than resonable.

There is enough room in there for 2 with a small stove and although I haven't got a stove yet, my plans are to put it right inside the door on the right. As other skinners have metnioned the center works well too but to me I wanted the stove kinda out of the way so to speak. Plus the center pole makes a great place to hang gear inside your lodge.
In the back is an option too, but I didn't want to be carrying wood into the back and getting snow and mud tracked in.

Be sure to get the tall model with the 11' or so top. I have used one for years with a stove hole 1/3 way from the front wall. It has never been in the way. My little stove is sheet metal and needs a lot of re-loading. At first I pitched it with 2 outside poles. At a rendezvous in Creede, Colorado one night we got a cold and heavy surprise. It had snowed and sleeted early in the evening. About 3 AM one pole broke from the load. It sounded like a shot and the canvas was heavy, cold and stiff. I added to the vocabulary of the neighbors I'm sure. I was too hard headed to change, so at another event a cold rain broke a second pole. I now have a tall center pole. The pole is in 2 pieces, 7'-6" and 3'-6". I made a connector out of pipe with a 3/8" round bar thru the middle. The bar holds the pipe in place until I get the top piece of the pole on and provides hanger hooks for clothing and gear.

Seeing as how I got my name from a 12x12 pyramid from panther, you might think I'm not the best one to advise on this, but . . . . . . .

I have the exit hole for mine in the center of the back wall a little more than 1/3 of the way up. The stove I use now isn't the one that caused the problem, but it is a smaller one that I built out of a piece of 10 inch square metal tubing, 16 inches long with 10 inch legs. The first one wouldn't have been a problem if I had used a multi-wall stove pipe instead of a single wall. I got it going too hot and it got the material smoldering.
The current set up is fine for the size of tent that it is. I used it last fall at Ruidoso with temps down to 20. I was burning ash firewood and would have to reload once in the middle of the night. We,(wife and I) even cooked breakfast on it one morning just to see if it would work. The stove sits on an oil drip pan to catch any coals that fall out when the door is open. It is set with the door toward my side so that I can load it without getting out of bed. I built a small wood rack to set at the end of my bed, which is a one person roll a way(I hate cots). My wife has a cot on the other side. This gives us plenty of room in the tent and we can both keep stuff under our beds. We have a small folding table that sits between the center pole and the stove to eat off of or play cards or dominos on. The pole is a 4x4 with a small set of shelves on the stove side and a gun rack on the side toward the door. Both of these are removed for transport.

There are 1/2 inch pegs on the sides toward our beds that we hang shooting bags, capotes, canteens or anything else from. About 6 feet up there are a couple of metal hooks that stick out from the pole to hang lanterns from. This is the standard height pyramid, not a tall boy. The extra height will just keep your heat up high where it doesn't do you any good. :2

In a pinch, we could put another person in with this arrangement, but it is really for the two of us. We do have a "luggable loo" in the tent so that we don't have to make any outside trips at night.

Our next rondy is the 2nd weekend of March. I will take some pix of the inside and send them to you if you like.

Hi All,
I have a 10x10 Pyramid that I use for elk hunting here in the Cascades of Washington. I put the stove hole in myself. I put it next to the door and I've had no problems. I was concerned at first but kept checking the wall and didn't find it hot at all. I use a Riley stove that was rated for a 10x12 wall tent. I have out side loops that allow me to pull the wall out from the stove. It fits me with gear just fine. I'm usually along so don't know if I could fit another person in or not. But seeing as you have a 12x12 you should be fine. I hope this helps. Mike

be sure to get a nice stove jack. places like titanium goat sell pre-made ones, if you tell them the angle of your tent roof they'll cut the hole at the right shape to fit the pipe.

double walled pipe also helps.

i myself am a fair hand with CAD, so i just modeled the stove jack for my 8x8 spike tent. i'm making the insulator part from a bit of plumber's heat shield, it's this small ceramic fiber mat they use when sweating pipes, it goes between the pipe and the wall, and works a treat.

if you're not confident about your skills at making it, go to titanium goat, sure it's almost 40 bucks, but it's a damn fine product.

if you're worried about a period look i'm sure you can rig a way to look authentic. but trust me, the insulated jack is the way to go.

Back