• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

stove placement (for those that have one)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gona set up the tent this weekend & move the stove pipe hole (next to the door now, & it bugs me that a fire might block the door)

I am never real happy with where the stove is, but back right corner has worked best in the wall tents I have known.

I have a 12x10 wall tent and wanted to check to see if anyone had come up with a better spot? :idunno:

Just inside the door & to the left(where it is now) seems like a burn waiting to happen with the in and out of the door so near the hot stove.

Uhm,
I think the general idea of it being near the door, is about a loaded stove left cooking while the residents are out an about.
If there's a mishap, it's close to anyone outside to enter and either extinguish or with gloves remove and toss out of the tent instead of tripping over gear to get at it.
If your inside,, and a stove starts a fire, again the whole thing can be kicked outside faster if it's by the door.
If the tent is ablaze, the best way out is with a knife going directly out the side that's not on fire!

Point is, I think there's method in the madness of a stove near the door side.

In 12yrs vous`, I've seen 3 tent fires
* (untended) A failed "sunburst" mounted on a 20# propane tank, it was shooting flame out 2 feet from just under the element, we drug the tank out and the burning bedding.
* (untended) Lady built here camp fire too near the door and the wind blew the door flap into the fire, a near by camp hand a fire extinguisher and blasted it out. Caught it right away minor damage to door flap.
* (untended) A free standing candle inside, nobody knows what happened really, but that was the only fire around an isolated camp. By the time we got finished with the bucket brigade, there was only 25% of the canvas left and much of the inside gear as well as the man's gun was toast or saturated,, total loss.
A hat was passed around and the guy left with enough cash to replace his camp,, he did too.

In each case the folks where out visiting, no-one hurt, and all still attend vous with lessons learned by all.

I carry a fire extinguisher in all my vehicles, a small 10# rechargeable, when at camp it comes out of the vehicle and kept in a handy spot just inside the door, :idunno:

I have a 10 X 10 wall tent with door flaps at either end. I prefer to have the stove set up to the left adjacent to the door end that I enter and exit from and keeps the doors on the other end tied shut. So basically the same setup to the left of the door like you because this provides the most usable floor space away from the stove. Simply stake down the left door flap so that you use only the right. Plenty safe as long as you don't overfire your stove and make sure your chimney pipes are secure and have a decent spark arrester on the pipe.

My French bell tent has the stove insert on the right side just inside the door, small fire keeps the tent warm even at below zero temps. I also have a 14' x 18' marque for long rondies and when the family is attending. It does not have a stove hole in it, so I made a plywood wall panel to replace one side of the back door, this has the stove hole in it, I just run the pipe out and then up with a bracket to support the pipe. It works great and keeps me from having to cut a whole in the canvas.

I was thinking of getting an A frame with doors at both ends and putting the pipe insert in one of the doors instead of the side wall.

Any thoughts?

At the Eastern up near Mansfield PA many years ago, I saw a wall tent with an interesting set up. The rear flaps were staked open and outward from the tent and the stove was placed near the center of the rear. An additional piece of canvas with a stove hole tied right to the rear flaps. It created a kind of bell shape to the rear of the wall tent but avoided putting the stove hole through the canvas of the tent. Cool idea.

I had just cut the rear flap of my wall tent to install the stove hole liner. I was thoroughly POd at myself all week for not thinking of it.

My tent has the chimney hole on the right rear corner, (It came from the factory that way) which seems to be more efficient at keeping the tent warm as it is further away from the door, thus the opening and closing of the door flaps lets less warmth out(supposedly). However, I would rather have it in the left front corner, as it would make it easier to lay out the cots and such, as well as, be a bit safer.

My stove placement is front left. When I use it, the door on that side gets staked down and becomes a wall, just to be sure the flap doesn't contact the stove. Other than that, I don't worry about it.

My A frame has 2 doors front and back and the stove is in the back. This is for ease of removal in packing and unpacking and emergencies as well as I also keep a 5 gal pail of water near by. The tents I've seen go up in flames several years ago at Franklin, Tenn. Those were sibleys which use a wood pole set up with a metal leg tripod and metal loops for the stove pipe to go up the center along the same lines as a Tipi. It was cold and windy that event and there were several sibleys with fires going.
The wind picked up and it knocked one over into the next and dominoed, burning 6 with all their tack and gear. Luckily no one was hurt but fires were unattended. So I'd stick to A's, Wall's and Marques style tents with two doors. but that's my opinion. Be Safe and Have Fun.

Sean I agree, I wish my stove was not by the door. So many potential tragedies.

I would not have done it but was forced to inorder to fit two cots.

My typical setup for my 10 X 10 wall tent with door flaps on either end.

6f24bc2d-f0be-4707-8629-48dc8985a974.jpg

I have mine in the same location and have had a sitch where weather and wood combo lead to the flames being smothered and twin jets of smoke pouring into the tent. I may have just messed up, but as of yet, have had no issues aside from that.

Never crossed my mind to relocate it to the rear... dangit, now you got me pond'rin

Got a 12 x 14 wall tent, stove to the left as i walk in, easy to unload wood, when i get up in the nite walking by the stove to go outside it tells me to put more wood in,there may be better places for placement an i thought of moving it many times but being lazy i kept it that way, theirs plenty of room between the tent wall an stove to pile up wood, i,ve hunted in the snow, warm works fine, lots of room

I have three tents. A 14 by 16 wall tent, a 20 by 20 wall tent and a Big Horn 2 from Cabela's . The one from Cabela's has the stove port going out the roof as well as the 16 by 20. The 20 by 20 is in the left side door. Since it is just me during most hunts I use the Big Horn 2 as I can set it up alone. If you go with this tent get a better stove than the one sold with the tent.

I currently use a 12'x12' pyramid set with two outside poles. I ordered the tent with a oval tipi door and a awning attachment flap at each end. Therefore, I have the choice of having my stove placed either at the right-front or at the left-rear. I prefer to use the right-front stove position. I do not tie down the sides of my door flaps. I do place the three wooden dowels in the door flaps and have added two small canvas bags containing 6-62. cal lead balls at the bottom exterior edges of the door flaps. If there ever is a tent fire I just kick the rear door flap up and out. I also use thru-pins with cotter pins to keep the flue sections intact.

I have, also, seen way too many wood stove fires in canvas tents. The last one was last Mo. at Pelton Creek, Wyo. My neighbor's nested 5" pipe collapsed down onto the stove. He had a set of welding gloves he uses tending the stove and pulled the flue and stove outside his tent before I got there with my FE. I was a bad deal for a time but ended well. The tent was all smoky but nothing caught on fire.

As I have quit using wood due to my age and a few medical problems. I now use a gas insert (Don Strinz tipi Co.) inside my Four Dog wood stove. With the 4" flue dampered down the flue temp is way cooler than is was burning wood and I really like not having to worry about wood sparks. I open her up in the morning and get a good scald on the coffee pot. I do not cook on this stove but do use the side hot water container and can warm up burritos and dry out clothes on the side rack. I also use a CO/propane gas battery sensor in the tent. Plus the firebox on the Four Dog stoves is airtight.

Sleep warm and safe!

The Strawstalker

Back