• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Straight rifle shotgun success...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gobbletn

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello, well my build is over of my straight rifled .54/28g flintlock. I have harvested 2 Tennessee Turkeys in the last three outings. I will post pics if I can figure out how! Nice shooting... load was 65 gr. 2F, over powder card, 1/2" under shot felt wad, shot 1 3/8 oz # 5, topped with over shot card.

31 years of building and I have never built a straight rifled gun.....maybe one of these days.

Congratulations !
:hatsoff:

That's basically the same load I use, except it's 60/3F instead of 65/2F

Thank you... See my post from when I started my build! This is the topic number... Listed under the Builders thread area...

Login Name Post: Just ordered my 28 gauge/.54 cal. Straight Rifled barrel        (Topic#260467)

I tried that load as well and to be honest could not tell much difference.... Thanks

Had to order my barrel, but I did it to extend my "ball" shot out to approx. 100yds on a pie plate. Allows me to shoot shot as well. Same as a smoothbore but do feel I get farther distance with the ball and cleaner shotgun shooting with the groves!

Gobbletn said:
Had to order my barrel, but I did it to extend my "ball" shot out to approx. 100yds on a pie plate. Allows me to shoot shot as well. Same as a smoothbore but do feel I get farther distance with the ball and cleaner shotgun shooting with the groves!
The grooves, with the right size shot should help shoot a tighter pattern.

My first kill with my gun. Have gotten two birds this spring. Last spring I killed my 4 gobblers fairly fast with my modern shotgun and wanted a change, got interested in possibly doing it with a Flintlock... Building these guns is a frustrating BLAST! Wow how my life has changed. I completed my build last month and what a time I am having. Already getting parts together to make a .40 cal for this falls hunting...

IMG_0277.jpg

nice bird :thumbsup: ...good luck with the .40 cal. That 28 is a beauty!

Back