• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

stripping a stock???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob1961

62 Cal.
Reaction score
what's the best way to do it....as i'm starting to do my T/C hawkens....and also the best finish to put back on it....i like the true oil way i've read in the past....my T/C's stock looks good and want to bring out the best of it...........................bob

FYI...I've refinished 4-5 TC Hawkens stocks and after stripping the first one the old fashioned way, I followed a tip from a board member and let an antique furniture place professionally strip them for $20...don't have to buy and deal with all the chemicals, plus no wear & tear on muscles & joints, plus no sanding so you don't alter any dimensions of the stock.

For the finish, all I use is Tru-Oil...used stain then Tru-Oil on the first one but it made it too dark and covered up the grain...had to completely restrip it again...Tru-Oil itself darkens enough and the good news is that it darkens the different types of grain and figure differently, which really make them stand out.

I've attached a photo of one:
http://www.members.aol.com/wjcutbush/50cal8and7pointers1.jpg

bob1961
Go and read my post in Percussion, used T?C Hawken. I refinished my stock and it turned out great. roundball is right do not put any stain on it. My stock turned out a little darker that the one pictured by roundball. I went to a furniture refinisher and he wanted $40.00 to strip it so I did it myself. DEADDAWG's suggestion about the carb cleaner really work's. I bought the cheapest that Wal-Mart had, and it removed the finish better that any paint remover I have ever used.

Good Luck,
Robert

A buddy of mine and myself used to refinish antique furniture. He was good at finishes and I did okay at repairing broken or missing parts and caning bottoms and backs. Our method, out of sight of the client of course was simple: Spray the item with water from the hose, or throw it in a pond until the water affected the finish, then spray it down with Easy Off Oven Cleaner, go have a cup of coffee, come back and spray the, EOOC off and let it dry, resand, refinish, recane, return, collect our pay, and start over on the next item. It works for nearly any finish on any wood.

thanks guys for the info....will have some pic's soon.....................bob

I read an article where restorers of old gun stocks use easy off oven cleaner as no sanding is necessary. It is all I use. I understand that it also helps get the old soaked in oil out of the stock although I don't know for sure. I also know that you have to take the plastic white line spacers off before you hit a stock with easy off. I'm going to have to try the carb cleaner though.

C F

Back