• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Struggled yesterday.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yep, covered miles for one pheasant and one pigeon.
I missed a few and lost a pheasant! Tia was at home and Jess is no retriever!
My legs are in shreds from thorn!

I seem to struggle with this short Bess! I think I will start using the lesser trade gun again.

B.

A good struggle though, at least to my eyes, much better than office struggles, or home house chore struggles; a day afield with two birds for the pot makes for a good day. I'm jealous, I wish I had access to decent pheasant hunting.

Today was very wet so I prised a cap lock out.
It clung to the cabinet when it saw the weather outside!

It was a success, I smeard the cap in patch lube and off I went.
70g of 3f and 7/8oz of #6 on wads made from old boot leather soaked in olive oil

B.

A hard day of hunting beats a good day of working, as they say. I always look forward to seeing your posts from "across the pond"... I would love to visit Britain someday, as my ancestors came from there before the American revolution...our two nations are so intertwined. You give us Americans a great peek into hunting over there that we otherwise wouldn't see. The ability of folks to connect in the 21st Century is truly amazing, and ironic on this site in that we are all here due to our interest in the 18th Century! :) Congrats and thanks again!

The best part is that you know how to deal with challenging conditions. Too many folks just stay home. In days of yore, you'd have eaten fresh meat while they'd subsist on porridge. :thumbsup:

It astounds me how many people stay home when conditions are a little challenging, while claiming to admire and emulate our forebears.

Nothing wrong with that! Good job getting out there in the wet weather! :hatsoff:

"Tia was at home and Jess is no retriever!"

If you are familiar with force-fetching, you know that it is possible to turn most dogs into retrievers .. to a point. They do it because they HAVE to do it.
I force-trained a terrier cross to retrieve ducks and snipe but it took my hard head and 2 years to do it. She still hated it but she did it.

With her small size Jess would have a tough time though. :wink:

Patocazador said:
"Tia was at home and Jess is no retriever!"

If you are familiar with force-fetching, you know that it is possible to turn most dogs into retrievers .. to a point. They do it because they HAVE to do it.
I force-trained a terrier cross to retrieve ducks and snipe but it took my hard head and 2 years to do it. She still hated it but she did it.

With her small size Jess would have a tough time though. :wink:
Oh, no never heard of it. How do you do it ?
B.

The best instructions are on the web but you need an e-collar and a waist-high bench. The old way used a pinch cord around the toes but the e-collar works better with much less pain.

Here's a link to You-Tube. There are several variations so choose the one that fits your style.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5AdmNosUyc

Last edited by a moderator:
Back