• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

stuck nipple

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t-buck

36 Cal.
Reaction score
hello pards
i picked up a tv new englander last week at the gun show paid 50.00 for it
some one put one of them after market nipples that uses the small pistol primers
when i went to change it i found that there is noy way to use a nipple wrench on these and that it is stuck

i have it soaking inn kroil now
does any one have any idea how to get it out other than drilling or useing an ease out
t-buck

well that is the problem
who ever the idiot was that designed these things did not have the sense to have any way to put a wrench on them all that sticks out is the threaded part that the cap that holds the pistol primer in screws on to
i tried using some pliers that i cushioned the jaws with leather but it would not budge
right now i have the kroil working on it
t-buck

I'm bit confused as to what your nipple looks like sticking out of the gun. I got a Investarm 50 cal with the 6x75 nipple and couldnt find a wrench that fit snug enough so I went to my tool box and found a set of metric ignition wrenches( guess thats what their called) and a 5mm fit perfect. My wrench set even goes smaller so if you got 2 flat spots may be that may be an option

ok to clear the confusion
this is what it looks like sorry no pics
the best description i can give is it looks like an all threaded rod that has been drilled out in the center and screwed in where the nipple goes
no shoulder for a wrench and no slot for a screw driver or any thing else /// just threads sticking up
t-buck

t-buck said:
ok to clear the confusion
this is what it looks like sorry no pics
the best description i can give is it looks like an all threaded rod that has been drilled out in the center and screwed in where the nipple goes
no shoulder for a wrench and no slot for a screw driver or any thing else /// just threads sticking up
t-buck

Sounds like a homemade nipple. You might have to cut off the anvil part, drill out the orifice bigger and use an easy out on it.

thanks for the reminder on the loaded part
did that when i bought it at the gun show
and it was loaded the dealer had no idea it was and also did not know how to check to see if it was loaded or not
now he knows and said that he will check any muzzle loader he gets to ensure it is not loaded
thanks don't worry about being redundant
t-buck

That tells me it isn't one of the things Dixie Gunworks sells because they say to install it with a 1/4" open end wrench. Or maybe the 1/4" wrench fits onto the cap and it is used to drive the threaded portion down into the gun?

In any event, if the gun were mine there is no way I would want to keep the thing so it would be open warfare between it and me.

After soaking it a good long while my first attack would be with Vise Grips.
If those failed the next attack would be with a 1/8" drill bit, drilling the center out and then using an Eazy-Out screwed into my newly drilled hole.

If that failed the next line of attack would be with a 13/64 (.203) diameter drill.

This drill size is almost exactly the size of the solid material in a 1/4-28 male thread so it should remove all of the offending device and not touch the female thread in the guns breech.

Any remnents of the things threads that remain can be picked out with a sturdy needle. :grin:

This is not a nipple, it is the bottom "half" of a sealed type of ignition that takes pistol "primers". You screw off the top, that has a plunger in it, and it exposes what you have which is a cavity to accept a pistol primer. Screw the top back on and the hammer then strikes the plunger to ignite the primer. Unless you want to save the thing, clamp it with aq vise grip and unscrew it. There is a name for it but I can't think of it.
Mark

thanks zonie
i have never seen a need for using pistol primers on a muzzle loader
i picked this gun up for the 4h shooters to practice with it should be a good gun for them to start with
i was hoping some one would know the secret to getting these things out
if the kroil doesn't work i will drill and use the ease out method it that doesn't work will do the next step drilling and picking
t-buck

If it wasn't loaded you could use a Dremel and a small thin disc and cut a notch down into the top rim so a screwdriver could be used. Take a sharp knife point and aggressively poke around the nipple base to be sure you aren't looking at accumulated powder crud built up there.

thanks
i will check to see if an allen wrench will work on this one but i think the hole is round don't remember if it was made for an allen wrench will check it again though
t-buck

I think they are called an accra shot as my buddy had a cva that came with one.A real PITA to get out!! :wink:

If you are soaking it in kroil you are on the right track! just continue! Most good hardware stores will have "easy outs" made to remove broken bolts. Since you already have a hole a small easy out should work.If you cann't get an allen wrench to fit. :idunno:

update
an allen wrench does fit down inside the fire hole it is round on top but hex on the bottom
problem is the allen wrench that fits is so small there is no way to put enough pressure on it to loosen the nipple and i use that word lightly for this thing
still soaking in kroil will do that for a while an attempt the allen wrench each day with a little tapping to get the kroil to settle in the tight spots
if that doesn't work will break out the drill and ease out
thanks for the suggestions and esply for the support here
you are a great bunch of guys
i'll keep you updated on the progress on this
t-buck

t-buck said:
update
an allen wrench does fit down inside the fire hole it is round on top but hex on the bottom
problem is the allen wrench that fits is so small there is no way to put enough pressure on it to loosen the nipple and i use that word lightly for this thing
still soaking in kroil will do that for a while an attempt the allen wrench each day with a little tapping to get the kroil to settle in the tight spots
if that doesn't work will break out the drill and ease out
thanks for the suggestions and esply for the support here
you are a great bunch of guys
i'll keep you updated on the progress on this
t-buck

The stuck part is stainless steel I think. Take your time. I like liquid wrench better than kroil. I hope someone didn't use locktite. I would warm it up to about 300 to 400 degrees, let it cool down to where you can handle it, then try the allen wrench again. The heat may loosen things up. That low a temp will not hurt the barrel. Heat it over a gas burner. I've never had much sucess with drilling and easy outs on something that small. Big risk of damaging the threads as you know.

thanks
i'll put that on my to do list tomorrow when i get in from work
and the gun is not loaded now it was when i got it but the ball has been pulled and the powder scraped out and deactivated with oil
thanks again for all the help you all have given
t-buck

Try a longer allen wrench and also you clould heat it with a heat gun. No open flame and they get prety hot. Propane torch if that does not work. Kroll should loosen it.

Latest posts

Back