• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stupid GPR question?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelerzzz

40 Cal.
Reaction score
While cleaning my 54 cal gpr,I noticed that when I remove the touch hole liner, I can not see the cleaning patch in the hole...when the cleaning jag with patch is pushed down the barrel as far as it can go?? Shouldn't the jag go past the touch hole?

The rifle has a patent breech which is a small ignition chamber in the breech. This is runs about .25 to .36 depending on the make of rifle. The jag will stop on the shelf where the breech plug meets the barrel.

You need to get that chamber clean. It will build up gunk and you will start having misfires when the powder tries to bridge over the gunky chamber. I have one flint and a couple of percussion rifles with patent breeches. I use a .22 brush with a patch wrapped around it to get down into that area and clean it.

Get yourself a 1/4" x 36" wood dowel from your local hardware store. Round off the end and cut a slot in it with a hack saw. Use that and a small patch to clean your patent breech.
BreechPlugCleaner.jpg

When your inserting the little cloth patch into the end of the dowel you might want to put a little dab of superglue or white glue on it.

That thing looks like an excellent way to get a patch jammed down into the powder chamber and loose it.

When your inserting the little cloth patch into the end of the dowel you might want to put a little dab of superglue or white glue on it.

That thing looks like an excellent way to get a patch jammed down into the powder chamber and loose it.

Haven't really had that problem Zonie, and have been using this method for almost a year.

I use a slightly damp patch first. Push it in with a twisting motion, keep twisting in the same direction as I pull it out, then follow it with a dry patch using the same technique. The patch is thick enough to be snug in the slot and I guess the rough edges along the length of the cut slot and saw tooth marks inside the slot kind of hang on to it. Anyway, if it did come off I'm sure a ball screw would grab it.

I guess a replacement touch-hole liner (white lightning....not easily removed)probably isn't a good idea if that breech chamber needs cleaned regularly?

steelerzzz said:
I guess a replacement touch-hole liner (white lightning....not easily removed)probably isn't a good idea if that breech chamber needs cleaned regularly?

Not at all. On the one flinter I have a patent breech on, the touch hole liner can only be removed with an easy out. All you is something that will reach down and clean up the area. A small bronze brush, slotted tip or Semisane's split cleaning rod will all do it without the need to remove the liner.

As far as removing the touch hole liner is concerned, I have found that soaking it seems to help. Trying to remove it before cleaning only seems to strip the slot without budging the liner. If I stick the butt end in my bucket of hot sudsy water for a couple of minutes, it comes out much easier. I do recommend removing it with each cleaning. My buddy left one without ever removing it when cleaning. When time came to replace it, he had to use a torch to heat the metal and then beat the hell out of it to remove it.

I had an old Dixie convertable years ago that had the slotted touch hole liner. I used to put a little anti-seize on the threads before putting it back in. It gives the threads some lube and makes it a lot easier to remove.

For the non-removable types, I use red Loc-Tite on the threads when I install it. It keeps the threads sealed and protected. A little heat and the liner comes right out.

Mike2005 said:
The rifle has a patent breech which is a small ignition chamber in the breech. This is runs about .25 to .36 depending on the make of rifle. The jag will stop on the shelf where the breech plug meets the barrel.

You need to get that chamber clean. It will build up gunk and you will start having misfires when the powder tries to bridge over the gunky chamber. I have one flint and a couple of percussion rifles with patent breeches. I use a .22 brush with a patch wrapped around it to get down into that area and clean it.

I didn't know that!!!
Thanks

Know what? I just looked at the photo and got a patch stuck in my chamber!

Laugh all you want Dea, but it works for me. :haha: :haha: :thumbsup:

In our summer humidity fouling turns to black soup within five minutes of a shot. I keep that dowel and a bunch of 1/2" x 3/4" patches right next to the shooting bench, and swab the breech every five shots or so, or anytime I let the gun sit for a while after a shot. Haven't lost a patch yet.

Tell you what... I'll give it a try just to show that I am open minded, believe in celebrating our differences, promote all-inclusiveness and team work at all times. Dang it! I forgot that I got off work at 1630 and don't have to spout that company line. :surrender: Seriously - I will give it a try. :thumbsup:

Well, it won't cost you but a buck for a wood dowel and a minute with a hack saw to try it.

You can always put a spring from a ball point pen on the other end of the dowel to retrieve the patch. :haha: :haha: :haha:

I'll give it a try just to show that I am open minded, believe in celebrating our differences, promote all-inclusiveness and team work at all times.

:barf: :barf: Sure glad I retired and am no longer exposed to that tripe. :blah:

"I'll give it a try just to show that I am open minded, believe in celebrating our differences, promote all-inclusiveness and team work at all times."

Don't you love it when someone's being proactive and celebrating the diversity of the group and using the synergy of the forum?

I wonder how many fortunate ones on this forum didn't have to regurgitate this stuff to keep their jobs? :rotf:

I didn't and wouldn't to keep a job! With the question at hand about the patent breech I use a 38 cal brush and a cotton patch on all my Lymans and T C'c works well

I tried the dowel rod and when I pulled it out, there was no patch on it! After removing it easily with a patch remover...I tried it again with a smaller patch, and it worked great! Using a small patch and twisting it cleans the breach area easily.

Shoot - I forgot to include "synergy". Don't that beat all? It's a darned good thing this was not at work or it would have been a week in the Sensitivity Training Stalag for me! Dang, I hate that :bull: .

Back