• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Success with 20ga flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swamp Buck

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I hunted three of the last few days of the regular firearm deer season and the first two days of the muzzleloader season without seeing any deer. This past Thursday (12/09/10) the wind was finally correct again for my stand location.

I headed out and got settled in for the evening hunt. Just before 5:00pm a 6-point buck appeared from seemingly out of thin air in front of me. The distance was only 20 yards.

I was hunting with an Early Pennsylvania 20 gauge flintlock fowler that I had built last spring. I raised the gun, carefully aimed and pulled the trigger. The gun did not fire. I suddenly realized to my horror that I had forgotted to take the frizzen stall off the gun.

The deer was now nervously looking right at me. In a near panic, I cocked the gun again and slipped the frizzen stall off. Fortunately the deer was still standing there looking at me. I again carefully aimed and pulled the trigger. The gun went off like it should and the deer took off heading westbound from my stand.

After reloading I went and checked for sign. The tracks and blood were easy to follow in the snow. The deer went about 50-60 yards before dropping.

What a fantastic end to my 2010 deer season. And now I know for sure that the frizzen stall works like it should.

Congratulations...a memorable hunt for sure!
:thumbsup:

(did the same thing myself in 2005...forgot to slip off the hammer stall / dull thud...but like you, luckily was still able to get the buck)

Great, with you a gun you built. I have noticed also how them deer to just appear out of no where. I wonder if it is my snoring that brings them in?

Great! And with a smoothbore! the bigger the challenge, the bigger the reward. Congratulations.

Yes, we do love to see dead animals with big holes in them. Heck, if all you got is a wrapped up steak, post a pic of that :rotf: . Bill

I think those two deer we got might have been the only two that were "forgiving". I've never had a deer give me a second chance like that before.

When the flint fell on the frizzen stall and made that dull "thump" sound, it seems like the world stood still for a moment. The clicking sounds made when cocking it again seemed so much louder than usual it sounded like I was cracking dry sticks in the deer blind.

At least everything worked out in the end.

It is nice to know the frizzen stall works, but why THEN(!). Good job on the "recovery" and it definitely made a lasting memory.

Swamp Buck said:
I think those two deer we got might have been the only two that were "forgiving". I've never had a deer give me a second chance like that before.

When the flint fell on the frizzen stall and made that dull "thump" sound, it seems like the world stood still for a moment. The clicking sounds made when cocking it again seemed so much louder than usual it sounded like I was cracking dry sticks in the deer blind.

At least everything worked out in the end.

:applause: :thumbsup: :wink:

I'll bet that's something you will not soon forget! :surrender:
Great story, it only makes you human. :hatsoff:
Dusty :wink:

Back