• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Success with new flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swamp Buck

40 Cal.
Reaction score
This past spring/summer I had built my first flintlock (Jim Chambers Early Lancaster 54 cal). I also started casting my own roundballs. Since then, I could not wait for either the rifle or muzzleoader seasons to open to get out and hunt with it.

The opener of the deer rifle season I took my daughter out hunting and she got a nice 6-pointer with the 7mm-08 centerfire rifle.

I will be taking my son out hunting during the Thanksgiving Day holiday weekend. I hope he has as much luck as his sister.

That left the time between the season opener and Thanksgiving for me to get out and hunt with my new pride and joy.

First day out: No deer/nothing was moving at all.
Second day out: No deer this day either.
Third day out: No deer this day either.
Fourth day out: Saw one large doe & button buck.

Fifth day out (Nov 23rd): Success!!!!

At 5:10pm I caught movement out of the corner off my eye. It was a deer approaching my stand site from the north. Right away I could see that it had antlers. I slipped the frizzen cover off and got ready. The 6 point buck stepped clear of some brush and I got a quartering toward me shot at the buck. The flintlock went off immediately when I pulled the trigger. The buck ran about 25 yards before dropping. The patched roundball entered through the right shoulder and exited through the last rib on the left side of the deer.

I know this post is a little long but I am still so fired up about getting a deer with the flintlock.

Congratulations: :thumbsup:

Maybe I will be so lucky next muzzleloader season I didn't see anything when I went out 6 days no deer.

I know this post is a little long but I am still so fired up about getting a deer with the flintlock.

The last sentence says it all.
Congratuations on the flintlock buck.

PJC

Hello from Germany!

Waidmanns Heil and well done! :thumbsup:

Every ML deer is a trophy, especially a flinter shooten one.

Regards

Kirrmeister :hatsoff:

That is simply outstanding...congratulations !
(for both you AND your Daughter)

:hatsoff:

Congratulations! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Your post isn't too long. In fact, it's too short......where are the pic's?

Good job Swamp Buck! Sounds like a nice clean kill. If you could post a picture, we would love to see it.
Idaho PRB

Grats Swamp Buck! :hatsoff:
And Grats to your daughter. And good luck to your son. :hatsoff: :hatsoff: When you gonna teach them younguns to smoke? BP smoke that is...:wink:

Show us some pics if ya got 'em.

Both of my kids enjoy shooting the muzzleloaders. It's just a matter of time before they request to hunt with one of them.

However, I'll let them catch the muzzleloading bug on their own. One more person in the household with this affliction would push my wife right over the edge. :grin: :wink:

Fantastic!

You must be on cloud 9. I have yet to get my first Flinter deer but I am working on it.
Post some photos. Would love to see your deer.

Swamp Buck said:
One more person in the household with this affliction would push my wife right over the edge. :grin: :wink:

Get 'em both hooked! Maybe the wife will "join 'em" if she can't "beat 'em". :wink: :thumbsup:

Congratulations Swamp Buck!

Taking your first flintlock deer is a great accomplishment, but doing it with a gun you made yourself is even better! :hatsoff:

Back