• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Suggestions for bag flap closure?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a belt pouch with a deer pelt (with the tail) as the front flap. The fur is about 1-inch thick.

I could leave the flap without a way to secure it closed, but I'm really interested in being able to secure the flap down.

How would you do it?

Or can just hang a weight. Mine is just flap hanging. Antler tip for weight.

IMG_3131.jpeg

Last edited:
Depending on how you hunt if you do hunt, but not having a closure on the flap is a quick way to loose your stuff when you do any crawling in open country.

I have a belt pouch with a deer pelt (with the tail) as the front flap. The fur is about 1-inch thick.

I could leave the flap without a way to secure it closed, but I'm really interested in being able to secure the flap down.

How would you do it?
Piece of sheet lead, sewn or glued on the inside. This will stiffen it more like a door also. Works well on mine.
Larry

Or can just hang a weight. Mine is just flap hanging. Antler tip for weight.

View attachment 342923

Yeah I was going to suggest a weight, and if the antler piece isn't heavy enough for you OR your isn't large enough to have the needed weight, drill out the center and pour in a little lead to up the weight.

(Good lookin' photo too)

LD

I sewed a PC of deer antler on the outside of the pouch flap , then a loop of leather thong under the bottom of the pouch out of the way , when not slipped over the deer antler to hold the pouch flap securely down. Keep it simple.

I sewed a PC of deer antler on the outside of the pouch flap , then a loop of leather thong under the bottom of the pouch out of the way , when not slipped over the deer antler to hold the pouch flap securely down. Keep it simple.
That's an even better idea!

A thought. The lead weight can be lead balls and therefore always available if needed. Create an inner pouch sewn inside the flap.

Back