• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Suggestions on a Kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowbender68

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I would like to build a Kentucky/Pennsylvania longrifle sometime in the near future, and would like to get some input and suggestions as to what my best source would be to get a quality kit. Although I have never built a rifle before, I do have some woodworking skills. Any suggestions where to shop, and what to look for in a kit? Also, I am from Ohio, and have noticed in some of my reading that some guns are said to have "Ohio style" or Ohio features. What makes the guns that were made in Ohio different from those built elsewhere? Thanks for any input!

I would like to build a Kentucky/Pennsylvania longrifle sometime in the near future, and would like to get some input and suggestions as to what my best source would be to get a quality kit.

BB,
It might be worth your while first deciding on "How serious & PC (Period Correct) you want to become", if at all. If you decide that YES you want to re-enact a certain era then your longrifle should be appropriate for that era.

Perhaps you should have a look at some books, in particular Longrifles of Colonial America (I think I got the title correct, VI & VII).

Track of the Wolf has a huge web site with many "kits":

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/

I am partial to the Lehigh style of longrifles; the comb is, generally, curved on the upper & lower surfaces amongst other differences.

Jim :imo:

PS To anyone who don't fancy Lehigh styles :blah:!

Get Muzzleloader Builders' Supply catalog, $9.50 shipped, 479-292-8866. It has good descriptions of about 22 schools of guns, including Vincent (Ohio), and color photos of completed guns. All the recommended parts. These are not kits, just the necessary parts, whether you get them from Track of Wolf, MBS, Pecatonica, etc. They will basically be the same parts. I suppose all the suppliers have good inletted stocks, you can't go wrong with any of them. MBS does not have its web site up yet, but Track of Wolf does. Get their catalog for descriptions of gun schools and parts. They have full size photos of parts, very useful. But MBS has a lot more detailed useful info, and some full size photos. Then, when you run into a problem ask this forum and you'll get expert advice. Ohio rifles were made later in time, and are frequently half stock percussion of a certain look. (Good look, too).

I see that you are from OH. Have you been to the Log Cabin in Lodi? If you have not, then take a bib or towel you'll need something to wipe the drool. I bought my supplies to build my gun there. It was nice to actually see what I was getting and ask questions before I bought anything. They are a good group of people there and can help a great deal.
I am not kiding about the bib, my wife will not go with me there because she says I embarass her. Of course I embarass her wherever I go, how do you I get out of shopping? :thumbsup:

It is a muzzleloading supply shop in Lodi, Ohio. It is about 4-5 hour5s from you. That also depends on our noted ODAT repair team, traffic and what ever else you may run into along they way. ODOT is known throughout the country for it's use on that stuff called "waffer-thin asphalt", good for at least 30 days.

Anyhow, if you want to see a fine collection of Ohio made rifles, they have them in their museum. Rhinehearts, Vincents, Stillgenbaurs...you name it (I most likely butchered those poor names).

Plus, they can guide you on what you need to get, how to do it...the whole nine yards.

Not only that...you may even see MM himself standing in a cornfield!

Stop on by and give a holler when your in town! Good luck!

Bender,

Take a look at the Track site and look for a Vincent rifle. There will be a kit available and there are often built rifles for sale with good pics.

What most people think of when discussion Ohio rifles is a fancy half stock (often in caplock) of a later period than the Pennsylvania rifles. Might have something to do with when Ohio actually came into being.

CS

There are five volumes, divided alphabetically by Ohio counties. $40 each. Log Cabin Shop is the only place I know to get them. I have Volume I and built an exact copy of the Samuel Faries rifle pictured on the front and back covers.

If you're going to buy parts from Log Cabin as opposed to buying a kit with all the parts, don't make the same mistake I made. I bought parts b/c I thought they would be nice on a rifle. You wind up with something that would never have been on the frontier. :redface: Wallace Gusler told us, "Find a rifle you like and then do your best to recreate it." I didn't get the Master's advice until years later. Now I know better (but rate myself as the bumbling idiot apprentice). :haha:

If you're going to buy parts from Log Cabin as opposed to buying a kit with all the parts, don't make the same mistake I made. I bought parts b/c I thought they would be nice on a rifle. You wind up with something that would never have been on the frontier. :redface:

You'd be surprised at what filtered it way to the frontier. That thing called the frontier was always on the move. Don't short sell youself, many fine crafted rifles made in the east went through quite a transformation on it's journey to the frontier. :m2c:

A few years back I drove out to the Log cabin shop. Bring a pocketfull of money. This is a real candy store. The folks are great and the museum is wonderful.
NIT WIT :redthumb:

Hi Bowbender68,
If you're looking for a Kentucky/PA longrifle kit. You can see our selection at www.flintlocks.com. We don't carry any models specific to Ohio, but ours are all reproductions of original rifles. Plus, I try my hardest to keep our kits top quality. Now if I could just get these darn trees to grow without any flaws in them and perfect curl I'd have it made!! :crackup:

Thanks,

Back