• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sunday shooting report..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3 stinky dogs

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok Sunday I started to get the hange of this.I am not flinching as bad and I can keep all five shots in a ragged 4 in group on a pie plate.My shooting Dr sed to shoot alot as an ML flinch will return.I like this gun it's butt ugly but it will go bang when I pull the trigger.I used the Goex 3 f's and the gun likes 60 grains(as measured by the adjustible measure I got with the gun) under its ball.My fellow shooter thinks its light for deer but with this load I know I can put the ball in the boiler room.We baught some more caps that fit right and that took care of the flecks of stuff hitting my face when I shoot and I am useing my archery follow through when I shoot.By next weekend I beleave I will be able to make one big ragged whole in the pie plate.

The 60 grain load should be alright. I used 70 gr FFFg in my CVA Mountain Rifle for hunting. It was my 100 yd target load. The last deer I shot with it was at 70 yard and I hit a little high. It shattered the shoulder blade, quartered through the lungs, broke a rib on the offside and came to rest under the skin. She raised her foreleg and then collapsed.

This was a very large mule deer doe. Within 50 yards and on a smaller whitetail 60 grains should be fine.

Halftail, i don't think he bought them new caps to fit the frizzen of a flinter. :: :kid: I know you must have missed that line.

Rebel,
I knew he said he got some caps but he was talking about curing a flinch.I never thought much about flinching with a caplock but I guess some do.
I usually go around in a daze most of the time...I miss alot in the run of a day.. ::
Think nothin of it :thumbsup:

No problem, i have the same problem at times. I think they call it Old age. :: Ahh the Golden Years. Yea right. Besides, some people flinch with a .22 rimfire. Go figure. ::

Ok I thaught the other one was gone so I did this one.I broke the rules.I baught a CVA Bob cat.It came with Elephant 2f's and musket caps as well as some balls and patches.I shot lousey and I had a nasty flinch.I switched to Goex 3f's and got a new nipple and tried of the bench (shot excelant) and off hand (lousey) On Sunday I got 1 ragged 4in hole and today I made a tighter ragged hole on my target.When I would shoot the gun I felt little flecks of junk hit my face due to a dirty gun and caps that were to big .Not a problem now thow and I found that I shoot this gun better then my smokeless guns.I in advertantly started two threads here can a mod deleat one or am I just going to have to live with being a dunder head and reply to both as my punishment ?

Just did a quick lookup on the internet... cva bobcat must be pretty new.. and reasonably priced for a sidelock enty level..

I think your right on target with 60 grain of goex fff. I have a t/c hawkin flinter, with same twist and can move up as high as 65 grain before loosing my accuracy. :results:
All my hunting loads are 70 fff of goex. So you ought to be fine for most part.

I'm sure it will just take some time, and lots of fun finding the right load, patch and ball size to fit its liking!

Keep us up to date... Will be interesting to hear how ya come out!
:blue:

I can't remove the other post because I'm not a moderator on this Forum.
I guess that leaves you with having to look after two posts about the same subject until the moderator of this area zaps it (or this one).
Come to think about it, with two posts going, you could get twice as smart in half the time. ::

Getting back on topic, once you decide you can't reduce your group size any, then, be brave! Increase your powder load 5 grains and fire at least 5 shots. It might reduce the group size. You'll never know if you don't try it. :)

This is a cool gun.Ugly as sin but cool.When it cooled down me and the kids went and shot it again while the AR sat all alone in the trunk.We did do 70 and I cant say if its the load,not getting splatterd with stuff or if I am used to it now but I can do five shots and make one ragged hole in a paper plate.The kids handle it fine and the oldest wants to use it for his first deer(Funney he hated the idea of shooting Bambi)And perfers this gun over the idea of a shot gun.and my two youngest can tolerate the recoile well to.Well another traditonel hunter is borne and if all go's well two deer will fall to a CVA Bobcat this year!

Be sure to remind your son that Bambi is the little tiny one with the spots and the big soulful eyes. It's pretty easy to tell him apart from the big unspotted ones with the horns and the stupid grin on their face.

What grin? The one they make while they look right at you as you squat there with your pants down, taking your morning constitutional behind the bushes. :)

Latest posts

Back