• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sunrise and blackpowder at the range...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Beautiful red sunrise this morning...65*...ran some more shot load experiments with the new .62cal Virginia...never saw another soul...a theraputic 4 hours for sure.
Last year I settled on a load of magnum 6's with this particular new smoothbore and they do fine as a turkey load, like the previous .62cal did.
Today, after all the posts about using 4s and 5s for turkeys...and knowing I use #5s as my general purpose small game load anyway, I tested them pretty thoroughly in the .62cal on turkey head targets.

As suspected, the larger the pellets, the shorter the range in terms of my preferred pattern for a small turkey head target.
Best balance of pattern density / penetration / distance has always been magnum #6s for me.
Wouldn't want to use #4s at all due to the short pattern / distance limitation.
Looks like chilled #5s would work to around 25yds give or take a couple...but offered no new opportunity for turkey heads over the magnum #6 loads I already use.
Magnum #5s would probably do an eyelash better, adding 3-4 couple more pellets but didn't have any to test.

Might try the chilled #5s for the hands on experience of it on a day I'll turkey hunt woods where 25yds would be plenty of range...compared to working the edge of an open clearing or field where shots can be longer.

All the prep may be for naught...haven't seen a turkey on the property I have to hunt in months...season opens April 14th.

Hey Roundball, Haven't ya heard? Real Men are using Tri-Plex loads for turkeys this year! :blah:

Skychief :wink:

PS: I was in my turkey hunting woods at 5:40 a.m. listening for gobbles on this warm morning. Didn't hear a thing. I'm getting itchy, even if the birds are not. Our season opens in later April (I need to check the exact date). Good luck to you. :thumbsup:

Skychief said:
Haven't ya heard? Real Men are using Tri-Plex loads for turkeys this year! :blah:

Yeah, I heard there's some sort of 'designer fashion load' trend starting up...
:wink:

Back