• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Surprise, Surprise

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
With Alabama turkey season over I decided to unload my English fowler turkey gun yesterday. When I dropped the hammer I got a bloop instead of a boom. Some where along the line during a no shots taken turkey season my shot parted company with powder and wads.
I need to make a mark on my ramrod to denote the position of a proper load with shot to make sure this doesn't happen again without my knowing about it.

Well good thing it didn't happen when you were aiming at a turkey or you'd have really felt bad!

This is one reason I like two overshot cards. I've lost OS cards when using only one. Two seems to secure it better and I've not had the problem since, though I still check to my mark frequently.

I also think it's one of the examples of what can happen leaving a gun loaded for long periods of time.
Cardboard OS cards wedge in and the edges are initially under pressure as new fresh cardboard from the tight fit against the bore walls...but I believe over time those cardboard edges will gradually compress from the tight fitting pressure and the grip will get weaker and weaker.

Speaking only for myself:
I won't risk waiting a whole year, going through all the planning and other expense, be lucky enough to finally get Mr. Longbeard in my sights...and be sitting there jeopardizing everything with an old load. When my Flintlocks leave my house for a hunt they're all set with a brand new fresh load, every time... .10 cents worth of powder, wad, and card...save and reuse the lead.

Others mileage may vary of course.

Latest posts

Back