• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swamp Huntin'-MS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E Poffinbarger

40 Cal.
Reaction score
By golly, I'm happier than a duck on a june bug, even though I just got back from a modern rifle Missouri hunt without seeing Mr. Big Enough.

I just got a call from those darn Swamp Rats(Mississippi Cajuns) invitin' me back to hunt wild hogs this comin' Jan. They say this year the pigs are thicker than fleas in the swamp.

Ya see, during our early muzzleloader season Ol' Killer(.54GPR-H) and I also didn't get a chance at a nice enough buck here in Kentuckee.

However huntin' wild hogs in the swamp with a big bore frontstuffer, man that's livin'. I got Ol' Killer sighted in with my new homecast 425gr hollow butted bullet, so we're ready. Besides I like pork a lot more than venison anyway.

Good Huntin' To All,

Osage

Dixie Flinter said:
That big, heavy conical sounds like the right stuff for hog huntin' :thumbsup:

They'll do the trick on them Ms. hogs alright. :thumbsup:

That sounds great. I have a CVA .50 with a 38 twist that should work. The hogs are getting thick in the Tallahatchie River bottom near here. Our modern rifle season opened Saturday but you can hunt with a muzzleloader, too.

Rebel/David:

Apparently Mississippi has a lot of true wild boar. Like some I have hunted more than a few places over the years that claimed to have a hog problem, most of which are feral farmer pigs.

However, I for one can personally testify that Mississippi has the real thing, "ya know the kind that may or may not run from the hunter", which brings a whole new dimension to term of hunting.

After my (fortunately successful) encounter with a 450# Russian Boar a couple of years ago, I ask one of the Cajuns if anyone had ever been killed by a hog there in the swamp, his answer was simply, "Don't know".

As you guys know, Mississippi allows the use of dogs during deer season, the reason I went was, apparently this hog had killed 13 of their dogs a few days prior.

Needless to say, it was a hunt I'll never forget and one I wouldn't trade for any or all of those "canned/fenced/guaranteed hunts" combined.

Osage

Back