• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swamp Huntin'

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E Poffinbarger

40 Cal.
Reaction score
As some of you know each year I go south to hunt those nasty tempered pigs in the Mississippi swamp, with my (2)two caplock .54's.

Two years ago I hunted and shot a running 450 pound boar eight feet away broadside and he kept going for another 40yards or shall we say he found me and I shot him in self-defense.

Last year I changed to a heavier nicely pointed, .425gr, solid lead, hollow butted, whop-arse bullet, unfortunately I saw nothing of acceptable size to shoot.

This year on the second day as darkness closed in I had a head-on view of an even bigger one peeking though the thick palmettos at me, not knowing whether he was about to bolt or charge I shot him in the face.

To make a long story short, that night I followed the blood trail 200+yards though the deep mud and thick undergrowth until my courage failed me. The next day I continued the search until the rains came and wiped out the trail.

Man, I really, really hate losing.

Osage

Not sure I'd use a nicely pointed bullet for this. I'd much rather use a heavy widest meplat bullet I can get for that sledge hammer effect.

You think you felt bad...How do you think he felt??? :grin:

Might have been like "Bloody Ban" following the Swamp Fox...He might have been laying in ambush for you, just ahead of where you stopped....

I have been hunting east of the Mississippi for many years.

I have yet to meet the critter that could go head to head with a .54 PRB with 100gr of FF behind it.

He might be out there,just haven't met him.

Thinking back, my courage faded with the thought that at any moment while in knee deep mud and no climbable trees I might encounter either a really upset pig or a ill tempered gator.

As for big enough bullet, after the first experience I changed from a rather blunt 380gr solid lead projectile to the bone crushing 425gr Minie.

Even though wild hogs have what is known as a "shield" protecting the torso and a rather hard skull, neither shot on the two pigs was well placed, my mistake.

However, I still hate losing.

Osage

Back