• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swamped to straight barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmetucker

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I know that swamped barrels are most appropriate for Rev. War and earlier rifles. I also understand that straight barrels are more appropriate for golden age rifles (1820's)(am I wrong?).

What were the middle transitional years for barrel profile (by when had most new (original) barrels changed from a swamped to a straight profile)?

Did swamped barrels ever go completely out of style (even by the precussion period)?

Let's face it, a quality straight barrel is significantly less expensive than a quality swamped barrel. I want to know how early of a style of rifle I could build with a straight barrel that would be truely appropriate. Thinking of building a small bore (.40 or less) and want to lay out as little cash as needed to build up a correct rifle.

Thanks for any advise.

When you're forging them one at a time it is easier to form the swage. If the barrel is machined from bar stock, it is a nusiance to mill the waist into the blank. Swamping does lighten a gun while still leaving strength at the breech and muzzle. Wesley Richards was putting swamp into double rifle barrels until almost 1900, probably even later for those willing to pay.

:imo: As metalurgy got better, it was possible to thin down the barrel, and longer barrels were giving way to shorter ones by 1820, further reducing the need for swamping and the complications of inletting a swamped barrel.

I can't say how common parallel flats ever were. At some point gunsmiths went to tapered, and round tapered coexisted with octagonal tapered way up into this century.

Many jaegers had a curiously shaped octagonal barrel that carried over into the earlier forms of American long rifles. This barrel, termed "swamped," tapered from the breech towards the muzzle then, at approximately ten inches to a foot from the muzzle end, it would flair out again. The practical reason for this has never been fully explained, although it does shift the center of gravity of the barrel back closer to the shooter's hands giving the firearm much better balance. If, however, that's the reason, why flair it back out towards the muzzle? In all probability, it is a stylistic trend. At any rate, this type of barrel began to disappear by the 1790's and, by the turn of the century, was seldom seen, having been replaced by the much easier to manufacture straight octagonal barrel.

Pennsylvania Longrifle - by Budd Davisson

Swamped barrels really are nice, and maybe that's not the place to save a buck or two. ???

Interesting quote from Bud Davisson...he doesn't seem to really understand the balance of a rifle.

"Why flare it back out towards the muzzle?" Well because you don't want the rifle to be too muzzle light either...like ma ma bear a swamped barrel will be "just right". Bet he's never picked up a swamped barrel Jaeger!! It is a style of form following function.

"The practical reason for this has never been explained"!!!

Wow...75+% of the people on this forum could explain that easy. More of a collector and scholar than a shooter maybe.

Ha ha I probably spelled scholar wrong.

No offense to this Bud Davisson...but it sure sounds like he needs to do more research for his writing/books.

Rat

Yeah. I have used that link before. I just like the Shumway plates. ::

As you say, I can think of several reasons to flare the muzzle. Especially when the barrels were seam welded up from a skelp. The breech & muzzle were the weak points because of the weld seam. Then there's balance, as you mentioned. Lower (& therefore stronger) front sight height. Asthetics. Barrel stability (but you're not going to notice this at roundball ranges . . . tapered barrels "whip" during the shot - I doubt it was ever noticed before high-speed cameras).

:imo: I'd rather have a swamped barrel and an absolutely plain stock than a 7/8" or larger parallel barrel and a +++++ premium stock.

: If you live in the United States, the GM swamped barrel is only $140 to $150, barely $50.00 more than a straight barrel, if bought from Track. If you want to pay more,you can buy it straight from Green Mountain or some other make of barrel. Green Mountain cannot undercut their distributors so charges a flat rate, which means they make twice as much for direct sales. Since outfits like Track sell all sorts of other stuff you need, ou should also support them as well on the barrel purchase. It would be worth the extra denaro to put the swamped barrel on, if at all possible, even to wait 6mo more. Swamped barrels do contribute to making super 'holding' guns.
: Necessary? NO. - Nice to hold and shoot & looks at? - ABSOLUTELY!

Back