• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

sweet sweet success

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

armymedic.2

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Went out for tree rats for the first time this season wihtout a novice companion. Man can you move slick and fast when you are solo hunting. I was bagged out by about 10 am, and really just had a great time hunting with my handmade smoothie. Those little legs will be making lots of people happy, as i promised some friends that have never tried it.

here is a few pics, enjoy- People always asking about hunting wear......i hang my squirrels as i hunt until i have enough i want to sit down and skin. I carry gloves and ziploc bag to put the meat in and not have to worry about gutsy ghands for the rest of my hunt. meat in possibles bag on left, loads in shooting bag on my right. great system and saves you time when you get home. Its not uncommopn to take a couple more while skinning either. quick rinse when ya get home and your eating.--

p.s. a forged tomohawk really makes taking the feet and legs off a breeze- i use tree roots as a chop block.
photobucket-28423-1347447307518.jpg

photobucket-21975-1347448606923.jpg

That is just awesome! You must live in squirrel mecca! ya ought to have a couple of meals there. yum! when's dinner? :hatsoff:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Man chase some of them our way.Their scarce over here.Ya did good.Where abouts you at.Griz

Thanks guys. It was fun for sure. We have many squirrels. I probably saw twenty.

I was loading equal volumes of powder and shot. 1 1/4 ounce i believe. But i let a little more shot dribble. Prob 1 1/2 or so. I put half a fiber wad between and a shot card on Top. I patterned this gun extensively last year and found that if i just put the powder in my irish same as my shot. Allows was well. Doesnt care weather or not i lube the wad. So i do when i have time. Olive oil and beeswax. I dont when i dont. Copper plated #6 shot. Furthest one dropped at 45 yards with one bb through the head and a couple in body. Cylinder.d bore but it stays very dense (not tight)

Funny.......it was actually this spring when i finishd this fowler.......so i patterned it this spring. Not last year. Seems like a lifetime ago already.

Also i use stumpys method of altoid tin organizatiin. Speeds up reloads.

Great Story and photo's
It means a lot to those of use who can't make
it to the woods for health reasons or just plain stuck
at work. A little squirrel hunting story at break with a cup
of coffee and a snack or same at lunch sure helps break up
the day.
Thanks again

Pat
PJC

Glad i could help! Ny griz...im in columbia county. 40 min south of albany. If ur close enough we could make smoke in the woods.........

Looks like you had a great day out. I'm right across the river, although out of commission at the moment. Might get to shoot mine around November I'm hoping. Good Job!

It's funny, we all talk about deer hunting but one of life's great joys is squirrel hunting...

Another is hot squirrels in gravey with biscuits and mashed potatoes...

Thanks for sharing, enjoy!!! :hatsoff:

Wow this story takes me back. I grew up hunting tree squirrels. Not with a muzzleloader though. Thank you for posting your hunt. What a great string of squirrels.

Back