• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swinney's books on NYS firearms....& research of E. Phillipps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recent came across a thread in which two historical reference books were mentioned (naturally I can't find the thread now...) Book 1 was "The Muzzleloading Caplock Rifle" by Ned Roberts which I was able to find, purchase and I am presently reading....great reading. The Second book was "Swinney's books on the NYS Firearms Trade. (Those being a bit pricy ... I did not buy). So, the question: I have a target percussion rifle made by Edwin Phillips, New York, 1840-1884. He was noted for using scopes on some of his builds. That is all the information I have on this builder; yet I am sure he was important enough to have more said of him. I was hoping maybe someone here might have a copy of the 3rd vol. of Swinney's books and would do me the favor of seeing if E. Phillips might be noted. If anyone else has information on Phillips I would appreciate it. Regards, W. "ZEE"

I recent came across a thread in which two historical reference books were mentioned (naturally I can't find the thread now...) Book 1 was "The Muzzleloading Caplock Rifle" by Ned Roberts which I was able to find, purchase and I am presently reading....great reading. The Second book was "Swinney's books on the NYS Firearms Trade. (Those being a bit pricy ... I did not buy). So, the question: I have a target percussion rifle made by Edwin Phillips, New York, 1840-1884. He was noted for using scopes on some of his builds. That is all the information I have on this builder; yet I am sure he was important enough to have more said of him. I was hoping maybe someone here might have a copy of the 3rd vol. of Swinney's books and would do me the favor of seeing if E. Phillips might be noted. If anyone else has information on Phillips I would appreciate it. Regards, W. "ZEE"
Yup, Swinney's volume 5 has a very short write-up on Edwin Phillips and a couple photos. He apparently was listed as a cabinet maker in the 1840's and then was listed as a gunsmith or gun & pistol maker from 1850's onward at 111 Christie in NYC

Yup, Swinney's volume 5 has a very short write-up on Edwin Phillips and a couple photos. He apparently was listed as a cabinet maker in the 1840's and then was listed as a gunsmith or gun & pistol maker from 1850's onward at 111 Christie in NYC
Note that my computer changed the spelling ...the street is CHRYSTIE. Here's a different listing for him with similar information
Screenshot 2024-09-29 at 2.59.55 PM.png

Back