• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swiveled Ramrods

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketman

Passed On
Reaction score
What's up with the swiveled ramrod of yesrerdays done by?

Was this a design to keep from loosing the ramrod in the heat of battle, or just a idea that passed by?

ENFIELD PATTERN 1856 CAVALRY CARBINE CAL. .577
ramrod.jpg

ramrod3.jpg

ramrod2.jpg

I have seen these on antique pistols before, like this U.S. Model 1842 Navy Percussion Pistol...
pistol.jpg

How come you don't see these on off-the-shelf muzzleloaders?

Swiveled Ranrods, good idea or bad? ::

Just idle speculation on my part, but I bet 140 years ago this could have set of a heated debate amoung the military designers.
I can see where the "pro" side could say:
It automatically aligns itself with the bore thus it speeds loading.
It cannot get lost and a muzzleloader without a ramrod is about as worthless as hind tits on a bore hog.

I can see the "anti" side saying"
Its right in the way of any bayonet you would want to mount.
If the rod is bent you can't throw it away or put it back out of the way so it can get into the line of the muzzle.

I'm sure there are more things which can be said on both sides of the subject.

Looks like it would tend to tear-up the crown on a rifled bbl.Dirt getting jammed in the swivel hinge could also prove to be a serious problem.If it were to get stuck in the bore,looks like it would be hard to remove it.Just looks too restrictive in movement! On the plus side ,it would be hard to lose.Might work out as a naval weapon aboard ship.I tend to think the minus side would outweigh the plus side. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gifGordy

Might work out as a naval weapon aboard ship.

The pistol I posted is a naval firearm, I can see where this would have an advantage when suspended from the rigging of a rolling ship and trying to reload...

It looks handy for seating oversized balls, just put the ball on the muzzle and pivot the ramrod on the hinge to press the ball down, then ram it home. Seems like a good idea.

And in the heat of battle when you get excited and shoot before removing the ram rod its not going far _-_-_-_That will leave a mark. :: :curse:

Back