• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SXS 12 GA

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doc623

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone know where to find components to build a 12GA SXS?
Thanks in advance.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh here we go ya budy!!!! . i was looking myself a while back and i couldnt find a thing .
then i bought a book called Recreating the double barrel muzzleloader by william Brockway.
its loaded with photos and step by step on making just about all you you need. Mr brockway is a regular on the American long rifles forum
http://www.americanlongrifles.com/american-longrifles-BBS-frame.htm

. he also has some very nice photos posted in the gallery as well.
i will also note my wife is very ****** as i have i think 8 to 10 complete doubles now that i have been picking up to convert LOL

I can't help ya with the parts for the Double, with exception to having a stock blank for one.

This is a awesome crotchwood black walnut stock blank for a doublebarrel ML, for sale, if that is of interest. It will catch every eye within 100 yards of it. Lots of beautiful color & feathered on both sides & 3 5/8" thick. Grain is perfect thru the lcok & wrist also. Would make a double flinter, double percussion, halfstock rifle, and plenty of room to cast in or out, sliding patchbox, adjust drop & cheekpiece. It is not cheap but it is definately an eye opener..... If interested, go to my web site & email me & I can send more photos & price & etc.

ShotgunHalfstockW201b.JPG

Custom Muzzleloaders & Custom Skinning Knives

Cap or flintlock?

There probably were flint 12g sxs guns made, but 24-18 gauge was normal until 1790 and Nock's patent breech. After that 16 gauge is normal, 14 or larger not uncommon in singles until cap lock percussion when the larger calibre seems to become more acceptable.

Todays ubiquitous 12 gauge probably stems from later calibre restrictions from the live pigeon competition organisers, a sport that continued for nearly a 100 years until after WW1. I don't think i12 gauge has any particular advantage over 16 in a muzzle loader. OTOH I could be completely wrong as I expect someone is just about to tell me ::

Robin, I agree with you and the narrower 16ga. at the breech would be a real plus IMHO. I am currently shooting a 20ga. SXS flint that was made in the 1790-1810 period. So far it breaks clays as well as my 12ga. perc. I just happen to shoot 1 oz.loads in each gun. But, if I were building a gun and I found a great set of barrels between 14ga. and 16ga. I would snatch them up! Heck a great set of 20ga. barrels wouldn't get away from me.

If you want original uncut 12 gauge fancy damascene blanks you can get them from
Peter Dyson, but a pair will cost you about $1k :shake:

I would buy pedersoli barrels from flintlocks etc.The rest of the parts from tip curtis,tow or muzzleloader builders supply.

Back