• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C .45 Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodymartin

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I acquired a T/C .45 cal Rifle. I need some info it is 3/4 across the flats and the barrel is 28 inches long. It does not have the standard brand fore end like the Hawkins do. Looks more like a Lyman plains rifle. There is no model name on the barrel. It also has a problen with the lock it will fire the hammer if you bang the stock with your hand.

If you measure again, I will bet the barrel is 13/16. If it has brass furniture it is a Seneca. If the furniture is blued, it's a Cherokee.

A little more info on the I took it apart. It has a hook breech Brass butt plate and brass fore end. It also has a double set trigger with brass trigger guard. Adjustable rear sight. I am going to have to tear the lock and trigger down as the hammer will fall with a sharp slap of the hand to the stock. :hmm:

It sounds to me that you have a Seneca rifle. Regarding the matter of it dropping it's hammer when the stock is slapped, is it possible that the set trigger is set too light? Before disassembling the lock I would try backing the trigger adjustment screw out some and see if that "fixes" the condition.

It is a Seneca I took the lock apart. The piece that the Hammer hooks to ( tumbler? ) is wore out. Looks like I will have to find a new one. I called T/C. They may have one and that they will send it free of charge along with a hammer. I hope that fixes it. The Rifle is .45 cal now if I can find a .36 cal barrel. :)

I guess i never saw one that had brass. I stand corrected.

Do they have patchboxes? [/quote]

My Seneca does have a patchbox.

My Seneca has a cap box and full brass trim. The Cherokee was essentially the same rifle without the nosecap and cap-box. I doubt they dropped the price very much though.

My Seneca, well, my wife/daughter's Seneca has all the trimmings. I thought the Seneca vs. Cherokee comparison was about the same as the Hawken vs. Renegade.

Hmmm, my 3 Cherokees all have brass furniture.

I guess i never saw one that had brass. I stand corrected.

Do they have patchboxes?

None of my Cherokees have patch boxes but all of my Senecas do, in fact some of the barrels on the Senecas are stamped "SENECA" and some are not.

Back