• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Firestorm Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokey90

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Firestom and can't seem to get it tofire consistantly.Using 4F in the pnn and 3F in the barrel and T/C fliint.

"4F in the pnn and 3F in the barrel"

Their website says that they are designed to shoot Pyrodex pellets (the ones with the hole in the middle) Try that.

I have to wonder how much spark you're getting. I've heard that those cut flints are not much good.
You say 3F as the charge, but what make of powder is it.Is it Goex or one of the subs? I'd stay away from the pellets. Loose powder will be much more reliable.

I have a Firestorm. I don't shoot it very often because I have two other flintlocks I like better. But anyway the Firestorm can be made to fire unbelievably fast and every single time. First get rid of the TC cut flints and get some Tom Fuller knapped real flints. My Firestorm will digest about anything I give it to eat. But for the best and fastest performance use 4f GOEX (always) in the pan and either 2f or 3f GOEX as a main charge. Real black powder not subs.
The powder should be level in the pan and maybe slightly against the touch hole. I also only shoot patched round balls but you may decide to use something else. They are not traditional except for the flintlock sitting on its side so you won't get much help on this forum. Nevertheless they shoot well and very fast and that's a fact.
If you have anymore questions that I may be able to answer please feel free to ask.

I also have a firestorm. I don't get a lot of spark but I can honestly say that I have never had a misfire. I just bought some TF flints and will try them hopefully next week. I'm using a 90gr charge of 2f with the TC 370gr maxiball and 4f in the pan. I tried the Pyrodex pellets and they worked but my groups were horrible. Black powder was the ticket for me. Everybody here says that the TC flints are junk so i would start there.

Buy some real flints, not those Cut Agate abortions that T/C sells. Rich Pierce, a member here, sells flints made from Missouri Chert. You can buy English Flints made by the Tom Fuller company from a number of suppliers. Go up the links section on the index and click on it to see a list of suppliers. Click on the names, to get to their catalogs. Do a search for flints. Or simply call the suppliers on their 800 numbers.

Agate is too soft to spark consistently well. I still have some I would love to GIVE away, but can't find any takers. :hmm: :surrender:

Mr. vallandigham,
I have an offer for you. How about I send you all my cut agate “flints” (I use that word loosely).
I really don't know why we hang onto them! Why?

Kerry said:
I have a Firestom and can't seem to get it tofire consistantly.Using 4F in the pnn and 3F in the barrel and T/C fliint.

In spite of T/C marketing or your personal opinion of how this gun looks, it is still a flintlock. No particular magic has been built into this gun. It will require good flints, good powder and proper technique to achieve the desired end result of accurate, dependable service. More info is needed to help with the problem: is failure to fire a “flash in the pan” or failure of the prime to light?

I use Goex powder. I think the T/C flints I have use could very well be the problem. I have tried pellets but the pellets have never worked for me. I will order some Fuller flints. I am considering selling the gun and getting a more traditional flintlock.

Absolutely no disrespect meant but if you are having a difficult time getting a Firestorm to fire reliably, so will you with any “more traditional” flintlock rifle.

NO! The next time I am at a blanket shoot, I am going to package up my agate flints and put them, with some cash on the blanket as a Prize. The cash will help induce someone to take the darn things!

Latest posts

Back