• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ib_crawlin

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Recently I purchased a used T/C flintlock hawken in .45 cal. to compliment my T/C caplock rifle in .50 cal. This being my first flintlock I had to do a bit of research to learn how to use it. (I learned a lot from this forum.)

The first problem I ran into was getting the lock to spark. I bought some Tom Fuller flints from TOTW to try out but no matter what, (bevel up or bevel down etc.), I couldn't get the thing to spark right. All I got was a few sparks or no sparks, a bashed up flint and a gouged frizzen.
I even half soled the frizzen with a piece of file and ended up with the same results.

After reading a few posts on this forum I realized I had an early T/C rifle (serial# 94xx) with the old style lock. A couple members had good luck sending in their locks for repair and I thought I would do the same. I recieved my lock today from Fed-Ex, after a two week wait, and I'm really disapointed.

The lock is just as it was when I sent it in with the exception of a new chipped up cut flint clamped in the jaw. Also their was a new frizzen and a new cut flint in the plastic bag with the lock. Problem is the toe on the new frizzen is narrower than the old one. Well, I fitted the new frizzen to the lock with a little custom washer to take up the slop and installed a new cut flint. :curse: Guess what? :curse: Same old scenario!

The little ticket that came with the box say's "Rebuild F/L Assy" and "RR 9-29-05".Yeah, right... Should I send the lock back to T/C ($$ wasted already on shipping) or just buy a new replacement from TOTW?

Thanks in advance for helping out out a newbie flinter.

Ron

crawlin: I think we are in the same boat: Two weeks ago I sent my lock in for the same reason I have a first edition Renegade flinter from a kit I but together last year.The lock and gun was made would say the middle 70's .I really don't have any big problems but would like the newer design hammer ,so I return the lock two weeks ago and by the end of the week the lock was back.I had only one problem the tech: service guy by the name of jack did not change the hammer .I then spoke with service manager explaining the problem and would like the newer stle hammer that it ,I don't want a new lock.I did recive the new hammer to-day quess what they sent me a hammer off a percussion lock,really I have no need for it.I jump on the phone to=day and ask the girl over at customer service,explained what going on ,she stated it will be in the mail to-day o. k. will see what happens next week.
I would pack up the lock and make it att: service manager with a nice letter ,hay it still cheaper then buying a lock from TOTW for $125.00
Good Luck

I hear you Lonewolf,

I recently spent $85 bucks for 5 pounds of Goex black powder (shipping cost is unreal, isn't it?) so that I would would be set when my lock arrived. I've been burning up some of it in my cap 'n ball revolver to get my fix meanwhile, but....I'm still bummed out.

I guess I'll pack the lock up and send it in with a another note and see what happens.

I just won a Green Mountain Barrel (.36 cal, 42" long) and a walnut stock on ebay for a winter project and you can bet it's going to have a Chambers lock on it......I want sparks!!

Thanks,

Ron

Right on!
Armed with advice gleaned on this board I sent the bum lock back to T/C. (Certified mail, attn. sevice manager Tim Panchurac and a note explaining the problem).
Today I recieved a small package containing a new lock from T/C with all the latest features. It fits my old .45 Hawkin like it was born there and functions like it's supposed to.
Thanks to all for the advice and thank you Mr. Panchurac for fixing the problem! :bow:

Ron

hmmm...When I got my T/C Hawkins for $35 at gun shop. The inside of the barrel looked more like a rust cave and the lock (also) wouldn't spark. I got a new barrel (1:66 Twist, 31 inch, .50 Cal) and ordered a new main spring, and she now drives nails at 100 yds. The only prblem that I had with the lock was the spring was to weak. Now...she showers the flash pan, my hand, the deviders at the range! :haha: but really... that was the only problem mine had.

The only thing I miss about the old style lock is the looks of the hammer. I thought it was more graceful looking.
Other than that it was useless...The flint would slam into the frizzen at about a 90 degree angle and send bits of flint everywhere....
Honestly, I can't see how that design ever made it off the drawing board. :youcrazy:
Thanks,

Ron

ib_crawlin said:
Right on!
Armed with advice gleaned on this board I sent the bum lock back to T/C. (Certified mail, attn. sevice manager Tim Panchurac and a note explaining the problem).
Today I recieved a small package containing a new lock from T/C with all the latest features. It fits my old .45 Hawkin like it was born there and functions like it's supposed to.
Thanks to all for the advice and thank you Mr. Panchurac for fixing the problem! :bow:

Ron

That's great...and a nice touch would be to take a moment and send Tim a surprise 'Thank You' note...they're people like you and me and like hearing positive feedback from time to time...
:)

I also used RB's advice and mailed my lock to Tim's attention. I got a brand new one back in less than a week!

Jimbo

Latest posts

Back