• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

t/c hawken build ????

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdbrown

32 Cal.
Reaction score
is this a stupid idea?
instead of buying a t/c hawken and adding upgraded parts {mostly because i like to tinker} whats your thoughts of ordering upgraded parts, stock, barrel, lock, trigger, and all of the misc.parts etc and putting the parts together myself? could i end up with a personaly upgraded .54 cal elk rifle that has the potential of being highly accurate?

Not stupid at all.
But the replacement stocks aren't exactly "drop in" for all the parts. You have to do some inletting and shaping of the stock including cutting and fitting the butt plate.
So if you gunna go that route, why not build a rifle that look like something that's part of history?

All the up grades are a good thing, but they all for the most part simply do "drop in" the the TC stocks.
I personaly don't beleive the L&R cap lock RPL for the TC is much of an upgrade, the factory cap lock works just fine.

Oh, and welcome to the Forum, :grin:

I'm thinking it might be better to get the whole rifle first, just because not all the parts may be readily found, and if they are, it would be the more expensive route to go. Like buying all the parts to build a new car, it's going to cost alot more. Some of the parts don't have an upgraded version, like trigger guard, buttplate, tang...so you would be spending alot of time and effort trying to locate just a few parts. If you bought an old beater from the classified adds here, or ebay, or some site like that, you can replace the "high performance" parts, a little at a time if you choose, but you would already have all the other parts. You could change out a couple of key parts on your rifle, say the barrel and triggers, and still shoot it without having to post, "Hey guys, where can I find a cheap T/C trigger guard and tang"? You can go for the stock later, maybe even the lock if you choose. BTW, if it's a percussion lock, I can't see any reason to ever change it out. Good locks with lifetime warrantee.

Once in a great while you can find an entire set of used T/C hardware for sale cheap. I built this little rifle from a used set of T/C hardware I found on this site. I got it for a song and a dance. The set included the lock, trigger, trigger guard, key escutcheons, key, buttplate, tang, and all the screws and bolts. However, it took about a year of searching all the sites every day, so I wouldn't count on it if you're in a hurry. :surrender:

Just my opinion. Good luck, Bill

picture2222.jpg

Not a bad idea. I'd try to find a complete rifle first. Track of the Wolf offers some replacement stocks, and some hardware. I agree the TC cap locks are pretty good and have a life time warenty. Track of the Wolf will also build you a barrel if you are not set up to do it yourself.

If you are not pleased with the TC in the first place why upgrade everything? I would just buy all the parts I like to build the rifle I wanted. It seems to me the TC's are nice, well functioning rifles that don't need messing with. Heck, I have a Traditions Hawkin and a CVA Mtn. rifle, both work and shoot great. I don't see any need to upgrade them. On the other hand, I can sure envision a nice rifle built to my personal liking. If its not a question of $$$, I would make it a reality. If I had a shop, I would do it myself.

I've been coming at this kinda backwards. Between my Hawkens and spare parts laying around, I have steel part replacements for all the brass, GM drop-in barrels and Davis triggers. I've been thinking hard about getting a Pecatonica replacement stock.

Then it occurred to me, all I'd need to add is a replacement lock and new ramrod, and my upgraded TC Hawken would be like Johnny Cash's 1953,54,55,56,57 Cadillac! :rotf:

I bring that up because there are enough upgraded replacement parts around, there'd be little sense in going with any TC originals. The next question is whether or not it would be a "TC Hawken" any more.

:confused: If you buy a T/C and replace the lock, stock, barrel, triggers, and hardware, ... what's left to make it a T/C??? The ramrod?

Buy the parts you want and build the rifle you want. :thumbsup:

thanks for the info
another thought, there is a new 2010 t/c hawken 50 cal for 450 here in town. could i get a new barrell in .54 , and maybe sell the new .50 factory one for a little? probably with my shooting ability i wouldnt need to change anything on the rifle but i like to modify things

Last edited by a moderator:
mdbrown said:
could i get a new barrell in .54 , and maybe sell the new .50 factory one for a little?

As long as the outside diameters of the barrels are the same (i.e., 15/16" vs 1"), yeah. You can swap barrels. I doubt that you'll recover much of the cost of a new barrel in selling the original, though.

As far as I know all of the .54 T/C barrels are 1" and the .50 "Hawken" only comes with a 15/16" channel.
I could be wrong... but I don't think so.

if i want to shoot lead conicals would i want the 1-28 twist? also if i couldnt find a 15/16 barrell is it that difficult to modify the stock for 1"

mdbrown said:
if i want to shoot lead conicals would i want the 1-28 twist? also if i couldnt find a 15/16 barrell is it that difficult to modify the stock for 1"

The standard TC 1:48" twist barrel does just fine with conicals, but if you're talking a GM replacement barrel their 1:60 won't. If you're set on conicals with a replacement barrel, then by all means go with the 1:28".

Adapting a 15/16" barreled stock for 1" barrels goes beyond enlarging the barrel channel. You also have to set the lock plate out further to make room for it. If you want 54 cal but have a 15/16" stock, it would be much better just to go with a 15/16" GM drop-in barrel in 54 cal. GM drop-ins are darned good, and some folks have found they're even more accurate than the original TCs.

I have gathered the parts for a project BUT in flintlock.
I bought a T/C Hawken 50 in flint I then made a 54 15/16 barrel for it.
I decided that with that new barrel I could build a really nice rifle & when finished sell the 50.
These parts are awaiting winter, just too nice out
& summer is so short here.
Pecatonica fancy walnut T/C stock
Davis deerslayer trigger
L&R replacement flintlock
Hawken Shop iron buttplate, trigger guard&escetchons
T/C 15/16 tang
I will pour a pewter nose piece
Greenmountain barrel that was already purchased
plus the breech plug,underrib,thimbles & sights.
Misc. screws tang bolt & wedge
UNDECIDED finish tungoil ? BLO?
If this was to be a cap lock I would not hesitate to use a T/C caplock & with the new type frizzen &
cock piece the T/C flintlock is working fine
But it will be going when this is ready to shoot.
When this is finished about the only thing T/C will be the breachplug & tang
This will be a PRB gun only,if I want to shoot conicals I have a 54caplock with a 1-48 twist.
It is presently sighted in for PRB & is my rainy
day elk hunting rifle,uses every thing the same as my flint but the flint & prime so only thing I need is caps. If I put them in my vest at the start of the season I am good to go what ever rifle I grab.

The more I think on this project the better it sounds. Lots of options and ways to go with this. I like the TC snail breech plug and TC lock. Track of the Wolf offers a choice of a replacemet stock that is either full lenght or half stock. I good grade of maple would look nice. At this time I think I'd also stay witht the TC triggers. From there a guy could change out the butt plate for steel or stay with the brass. I like being able to pull the barrel to clean. I like a silver wire inlay, but would pass on carving. The TC factory sights would mostly go on it. For a barrel there are lots of options. Green Mountain drop in replacement barrels are good, but would need to be reblued. The GM blue job is not as good as what TC puts on their barrels. Cap box or patch box? Brass, silver or steel hardware?? Now this rifle wouldn't be HC, but I can see it being pretty and a real shooter. Those of you who have already done any of the above mods on a TC, pics would be great.

I have done two from scratch, so to speak. This photo shows my last attempt to be a gun maker and it looks, OK, form several feet away (not so good close up!). This is a piece of walnut I cut many years ago. The gun shoots well and is my son's favorite muzzle loader.

IMG_2130.jpg

I also did another one, the first one from an inletted stock from TOTW. In my opinion it was harder to do because it is not square and it is difficult to hold while you are working on it.

I found out quickly I am not a gun maker. Although I have been a cabinet maker for 35 years or more (ugh!). So if that scares you, just let me tell you it isn't easy to make a stock that fits and looks good.

IMG_2136.jpg

IMG_2135.jpg

IMG_2134.jpg

IMG_2133.jpg

IMG_2131.jpg

But in the grand scheme of things it's just a piece of wood, so go for it. You may be the one!
BTW, the stock TC cap lock parts are just fine.

WELCOME to the forum.

and some folks have found they're even more accurate than the original TCs.

Yeah,,,a BUNCH more,,,

Back